Install synaptic packet manager

Hi,

merry christmas everyone.

i was trying to install synaptic packet manager and every time I start synaptic I get the same error:

“E: Datei konnte nicht geöffnet werden. - open (2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.” which means that some data may be not existing or some dir was not successfully created.

I tried dpkg reconfigure and flushing any apt cache, but there is no way to get synaptic work. Also, I don’t know which repositorys to add for installing full mate desktop environment.

I please you to help me out a bit, to admit a working synaptic installation by the given repos.

Hi,

Merry Xmas to you as well.

For what reason you like to install synaptic? This is nothing else than a graphical interface for the apt package manager. Means, you already need a desktop to have it working.

As well dietpi-software offers a Mate desktop already https://dietpi.com/docs/software/desktop/#mate

Thank you for your fast response.

Of course I installed mate desktop, too. But the problem is, that even after doing followin’ steps

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install mate-desktop-environment

there is any additional software installed, so i think there is a problem with the repository list.

actually my /etc/apt/sources.list contains just one line

deb > Index of /raspbian > buster main contrib non-free

which i think is not enough to gather full dependencies in order to make a “normal” mate desktop enviroment work. Are you able to tell me, which repos I also need to add, to get synaptic (+ some other apps) installed correctly?

but, to answer your question: I just want to benefit with a gui based packet manager :slight_smile:

Usually raspbian source list is fine for majority of applications.

Btw did you had a look into dietpi-software. It offers quite a lot of pre-configured software title.

thank you for you suggestions, I was looking for some good ssh GUIs and some other software for administration purposes on this machine.

i find it much easier to make work this way, any suggestion how to find the additional repos would help me out :slight_smile:

Usually additional software source list are only needed if required by the specific software title.

thank you for your patience and cooperation with my request.

It works when you reactivate apt-cache in dietpi-config - 4 - apt-cache on Disk/RAM. Thought all the time i were using an outdated repo.

happy silvester! :smiley:

P.S. damn, synaptics works so bad with the pi v3!

Actually, it works fine – use dietpi-config to buffer APT cache+lists to memory:
dietpi-config → 4) advanced → APT: select APT cache, To RAM for each.

use the Back option to exit – if you try to exit the APT menu with OK, this will be selecting Reset – cache to disk.

Running on a SD card filesystem even with ext4 this is painfully slow.