Install dietpi on a PC alongside windows

Is it possible to install dietpi on a partition alongside another operating system?
In the dietpi installer I don’t see a way to select a partition. I can only select one drive or another.
I want to install dietpi and windows in the same hard drive. Is it posible?.
Thanks!

This is possible, but not with our images directly. You would need to use the original Debian Netinst first. This way you should be able to install it along with Windows. Once done, use our install script to convert plain Debian into DietPi. Supported hardware - DietPi.com Docs

2 Likes

Are you wanting to dual boot, boot windows, then shutdown, then boot dietpi?

Or do you want a virtual machine inside windows where you can start a program inside windows that has a version of dietpi running in it?

VMWare or Virtualbox will allow you to run dietpi inside a window (or even full screen) along side a working windows install running INSIDE a windows install

Yeah. this is just what i was looking for.
I followed those instructions and now i have dual boot with windows 11 and dietpi on the same hard drive.
Now I have dietpi on my raspberry and on my pc.
Thank you very much!

3 Likes

I wanted to have dual boot and the solution proposed by joulinar worked for me!

Additional details on an alternative solution I found. I would like to share this to others. I hope it will be helpful.

Note: (downloaded EFI x86 dietpi ISO file) :

This is my first post in this community after dietpi Distro got my attention and interest. I am loving its simplicity and low computer resources. My deep gratitude to the dietpi developers team.

Tested procedure:

1. Make a normal dietpi install to an external USB.
  2. Prepare a partition on the target PC with an ext4 filesystem prepared. I had another linux Distro installed with it’s own EFI Grub2 install to boot different OS on the target PC
  3. I booted linux in target machine using another already present third party linux distro.
  4. Mount both: dietpi USB and the target partition.
  5. rsync the whole USB dietpi partition containing root / partition on the target partition.
  6. edit /etc/fstab on the target system to match partition disk uuid EFI partition mentioned on point 2.
  7. Change the target uuid partition to be THE SAME uuid of the dietp USB install root partition from step 1 (Important).
  8. Boot linux from the already present partition with grub from point 2. Make an upgrade-grub2 to detect dietpi installed.
  9. Reboot and install from the debian 11 detected entry (dietpi).

Happy dietping :slight_smile:

Best Regards, Francisco.