How do I install a .deb file on my Dietpi?

Dear readers,
I would like to install TeamViewer on my Dietpi. On my Raspberry PI4 that means nothing, downloading the .deb file from TeamViewer, clicking on the downloaded file and it will be installed. I have searched the Dietpi documentation, the internet but did only find false solutions. So at the end my question is How do I install a .deb file on my Dietpi?

Many thanks in advance, wimduk

Creating a bug report/issue

I have searched the existing open and closed issues

Required Information
DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=9
G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=1
G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=1
G_GITBRANCH=‘master’
G_GITOWNER=‘MichaIng’
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[0]=‘not applicable’

Distro version | bookworm 0

Kernel version | Linux rasp-4GB 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Architecture | arm64

SBC model | RPi 4 Model B (aarch64)

sudo apt install /path/to/package/name.deb

Thank you very much for your fast response Jappe. I will try it tonight

Same way as on every other Debian based system. :wink:

Thank you folks, I tried to install TV, but got the following;
sudo apt install

/usr/local/bin/teamviewer_15.52.3_armhf.deb
wim@rasp-4GB:~$ sudo apt install /usr/local/bin/teamviewer_15.52.3_armhf.deb
[sudo] password for wim:
Package lists are being read... Done
Requirements tree being built... Done
The status information is being read... Done
Note, ***'teamviewer:armhf'*** is selected instead of '/usr/local/bin/teamviewer_15.52.3_armhf.deb'
Some packages could not be installed.

… hereafter a long list of packages …

Installing teamviewer_15.52.3_armhf.deb on my Raspberry with the org. OS, no problem.

What can be the problem?
Many thanks in advance and with regards, wimduk

This is the important one to share

Aannddddd. You are trying to install 32bit package on a 64bit system. Of course this will not work. Probably your RPI OS is 32bit.

Following should be the right one:
https://download.teamviewer.com/download/linux/teamviewer_arm64.deb (teamviewer_15.52.3_arm64.deb)

Thank you very much !!, regards wim

Just for my understanding … I am always told that you can always install 32 bits apps, but not the other way around. So Ihave a new lessons learner. Thank you both for the support,
Regards wim

Teamviewer successful installed, thank you very much, regards wimduk

1 Like

On x86_64 it’s easy, it should work out of the box I guess for the most software. But on ARM you would need to activate mutliarch support (dpkg --add-architecture armhf) and install all dependencies needed for teamviewer as armhf packages. So it’s cleaner without multiarch and when ther is a binary for your “default” architecture, why not use it?

Thanks for your extensive reply. I understood what you have written and I fully agree with that.
Thanks and regards wim