/etc/environment not working

I tried to add a variable=value in /etc/environment and restarted the rpi but then doing echo $variable still gives blank until I source /etc/environment. I have to source in every session, which should not be the case. is it due to dropbear being used instead of openssh? I have a different server running ubuntu server and there it works fine. so a bit confused here.

It would be helpful if you could fill thy troubleshooting template. Somehow you removed it.

Required

• DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
  • Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
  • Kernel version | uname -a
  • Architecture | dpkg --print-architecture
  • SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)

As well, can you describe what like to archive? Maybe better to use export functionality and add this to ~/.profile

• DietPi version
G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=8
G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=25
G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=1
G_GITBRANCH='master'
G_GITOWNER='MichaIng'
  • Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
    bookworm 0

• Kernel version | uname -a

Linux amaterasu 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

• Architecture | dpkg --print-architecture

arm64

• SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)

RPi 4 Model B (aarch64)

I can use profile but I want it to persist across all users . now sure why it is failing in the first case. since it works fine in both the other servers, running ubuntu.

probably a difference between Ubuntu and Debian? As well it could be a difference in the shell used. We use bash.

This topic was automatically closed 178 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.