Docker Compose Update V2.24.7 Causes 'Illegal Instruction' Error"

Hello everyone! I hope you’re all doing well.

I wanted to share a quick update regarding the recent changes to docker-ce-cli, docker-ce, and docker-compose-plugin. It appears that the latest update may have affected their functionality.

With docker compose version V2.24.6, everything seems to be working as expected. Commands like docker-compose up -d or docker compose version are functioning without any issues.

However, after updating to docker compose version V2.24.7, I’ve encountered a problem. Whenever I try to execute any command, even a simple docker compose version, I receive an “Illegal instruction” error.

I’m wondering if there might be a new approach or method that I’m not yet aware of. Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have insights on how to address this issue?

Thanks in advance !

somehow you removed the troubleshooting template. It has a sense and is not there just for fun.

We would need to know some more information on your system.

Required Information

• DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
  • Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
  • Kernel version | uname --all
  • Architecture | dpkg --print-architecture
  • SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)

Sorry about that, I have several systems running the lattest DietPi and I just assumed this was a general issue since they’ve all notified about these 3 upgrades docker-ce-cli, docker-ce, and docker-compose-plugin.

For this particular case, I’ve crossed check with two Pi Zero’s running the latest DietPi version the one that’s on version V2.24.6 works fine the one that’s on V2.24.7 stopped working…

Here’s the info you’ve asked, let me know if you need anything else!

DietPi version |

G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=9
G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=1
G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=1
G_GITBRANCH=‘master’
G_GITOWNER=‘MichaIng’
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[0]=‘not applicable’

Distro version | bookworm 1
Kernel version | -bash: unam: command not found
Architecture | armhf
SBC model | RPi Zero W (armv6l)

Probably Docker stopped supporting ARMv6 systems. Something you would need to check with Docker guys directly.

I am having exactly the same problem with my Raspberry Pi 0 (original version), using armv6.
Did you find a solution?

Best is to check within a Docker forum if ARMv6 is supported still

Yes, indeed, it’s Docker related. More specifically Moby related.
For those with the same problem, you can rollback with this:

apt install docker-ce=5:25.0.3-1~raspbian.12~bookworm docker-ce-cli=5:25.0.3-1~raspbian.12~bookworm docker-ce-rootless-extras=5:25.0.3-1~raspbian.12~bookworm

See this discussion for more detail: Last version `5:25.0.4-1~raspbian.12~bookworm` seems broken on raspberry with armv6l (`Illegal instruction`) · moby/moby · Discussion #47543 · GitHub

2 Likes

FYI

It’s working again with the latest update!