DietPiCam Error

I have tried to install dietpicam several times, but everytime i get the same error:

Error in RaspiMJPEG
It says restart RaspiMJPEG or restart pi, but i don’t know how to restart RaspiMJPEG, and when i restart the Pi i get the same error.

On the Pi i have also installed Kodi and Logitech media server. i don’t know if that is an issue

I get the same issue now - even though all was working fine a few days ago.
From the command line I get the following -

root@BlueDietPi:~# raspimjpeg
start monitoring for pid: 1372
{2016/04/10 22:50:16} start monitoring for pid: 1372
RaspiMJPEG Version 5.2.12
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1)
Error: Could not create camera
Executing macro /var/www/dietpicam/macros/error_hard.sh “Could not create camera”
sh: 1: /var/www/dietpicam/macros/error_hard.sh: Permission denied

As I mentioned, the RPI Cam was working fine last time I was using the pi (I had it unplugged for a few days whilst doing other things). I have updated (since the error) to v 119 just in case that helped, but still no luck.

The cam itself is recognised by the RPi Cam control program - I can click the camera settings and get the various details up.

A look at the error.log in / gives -

[Sun Apr 10 23:40:07.092026 2016] [:error] [pid 656] [client 192.168.1.102:57440] PHP Warning: readfile(/dev/shm/mjpeg/cam.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/dietpicam/cam_pic.php on line 11, referer: http://192.168.1.xx/dietpicam/
[Sun Apr 10 23:40:07.222505 2016] [:error] [pid 656] [client 192.168.1.102:57440] PHP Warning: readfile(/dev/shm/mjpeg/cam.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/dietpicam/cam_pic.php on line 11, referer: http://192.168.1.xx/dietpicam/
[Sun Apr 10 23:40:07.352393 2016] [:error] [pid 656] [client 192.168.1.102:57440] PHP Warning: readfile(/dev/shm/mjpeg/cam.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/dietpicam/cam_pic.php on line 11, referer: http://192.168.1.xx/dietpicam/

This is repeated six or seven times per second.

I have tested the camera using a standard raspbian image and the camera is working fine (check to eliminate any dodgy loose connections etc)

Can you tell me the following please:

• which board you are using (RPi A+, B+, Pi2, Pi3, C1, C2, XU4, OrangePi, etc.)
  • which os (Wheezy or Jessie)
  • which camera (regular or noir)
  • what version of dietpi is currently installed

I will try to look into this in the next 24 hours.

-rob

Hi Rob,

In my case, the Pi is a B+, the cam is the standard Raspberry Pi cam not the IR version, OS is Jessie and version 115 of DietPI (although I had an earlier version when I first got the error - and thus I updated to the latest version)

As I mentioned, it was working fine previously when I turned the Pi off (correctly shut down etc).

Many thanks

Mark

Just installed on my test RPi2.

seems to work fine from the browser… but, if I run raspimjpeg from the command line while the browser page is open, then it starts generating those error messages.

I can’t reproduce it otherwise. I’ll try to look into it more tomorrow.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reports. I havnt modified the installation code for DietPiCam, so these errors are strange. As per Rhkeans post, I’ve tested DietPiCam on the RPi 3 and is running fine after multiple reboots.

Could both of you please send a bug report:

dietpi-bugreport

This will allow us to check system settings etc.
Please follow the onscreen instructions and reply with the reference code.

Also, if kernowyon is willing, please could you try uninstalling DietPiCam then reinstalling to see if the issue reoccurs? Please backup your videos/pictures before hand.

#Select DIETPICAM for removal
dietpi-uninstall
#then run dietpi-software and reselect DietPiCam for reinstall
dietpi-software

I’ve created a GitTicket to ensure we monitor this issue, and you guys can track our progress: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/281

No problem. Will try to get that done this evening, but if not, then tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick assistance!

Edit: Report sent (ref 77fbd864-482e-474d-bb8c-a472e721165a-0)

The removal and re-install has worked for me, although I note the other reporter tried before but had no joy.

I shall keep an eye on the program for a day or two - see if the problem re-appears. Wonder if I did something to cause the problem here?

Thanks Kernowyon,

I’ve made a note of your bugreport ID and reinstall results on the git ticket. I will try to look into this further over the weekend, once v116 is completed and released (its a biggy :slight_smile: ).

Hi Guys,

I’am unable to replicate the issue you guys are reporting. But I believe it may be linked to GPU memory split being changed after installation.

The RPi camera requires 128MB GPU memory. This is set by DietPi during installation of DietPiCam.
If either of you (or anyone else) experiences the same issue again, we can check gpu_mem_xxx= in /DietPi/config.txt .

I’ve closed the GitTicket for now, but will reopen pending a response from either of you with the issue re-occurring.