- The support for Debian Jessie is fading constantly by software titles and Debian itself, increasing the effort for us to work around the raising issues: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2332
- As a result we move Jessie systems to a dedicated “jessie-support” branch. Next DietPi v6.24 will still be merged into this branch as well, but for following updates it depends on how much additional related issues we face.
- We highly recommend to migrate to Stretch as fast as possible.
- Odroid C1: We have updated the image to Stretch based on ARMbian 4.18 kernel. Existing Jessie installations will be moved to the jessie-support branch: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2561
- DietPi-Software | Resolved the last failing installs on Debian Buster systems by either fixing or disabling them: phpMyAdmin and Tomcat8 are currently not available on non-RPi Buster systems.
- DietPi on Debian Buster x86_64 systems can be considered as compatible and stable now. On ARM devices some last software install tests are outstanding, especially on Raspberry Pi with Raspbian particularities. We will ship experimental images for testing purpose soon.
Changes / Improvements / Optimisations
- DietPi-Banner | Added support for DietPi message of the day (MOTD). This is enabled by default, however, can be disabled. Checks for latest MOTD once a day.
- DietPi-Banner | Always prints the local IP during boot mode display: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2681
- DietPi-Benchmark | Increased default survey RootFS and RAM benchmark sizes. 100MB (from 10MB) for RootFS. RAM is 1/4 of available. This is ensure a more accurate calculation of throughput when we divide bytes against time, to obtain the MB/s result. Benchmarks now also run at Nice -19 and realtime IO with priority 0 (highest).
- DietPi-Cleaner | Added a confirmation prompt, before removal of offline docs and man pages, as this may cause APT issues in some circumstances. Many thanks to @maartenlangeveld for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2751
- DietPi-LetsEncrypt | When applying to Lighttpd, “webroot” authentication is now used instead of “standalone”. This allows the auto-renewal service to succeed while Lighttpd is running. Many thanks to @minnux for testing this method: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2680#issuecomment-480095449
- DietPi-Arr_to_RAM | With v6.18 we silently added a new script (for Stretch and above) that allows linking Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr database files to RAM, increasing access performance, reducing disk I/O and avoiding constant external HDD spinning due to the very regular access to these files. This script has gone through some rework and polishing and can now be enabled to automatically link those databases to RAM on boot and store them back to disk on shutdown. For more details read: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/dietpi-arr-to-ram-link-sonarr-radarr-lidarr-database-files-to-ram/3120/1 Many thanks to @Dr0bac for providing valuable input and testing the development progress constantly: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2689
- DietPi-Drive_Manager | encryptfs and vboxsf (VirtualBox shared folder) fstab entries are now preserved. Many thanks to @johnvick and @Phil1988 for suggesting: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2078, https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2202
- DietPi-PREP | The script execution can now be fully automated via environment variables. Many thanks to @FredericGuilbault for adding this feature: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/2756
- DietPi-Config | Added support to toggle Intel CPU turbo/boost mode. Requires Intel CPU that supports the feature.
- DietPi-Config | G_CHECK_URL: Added ability to change the connection attempts and timeout, before DietPi URL checking assumes a dead link and failure: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2717
- DietPi-Config | Serial/UART device handling has been reworked. Serial login consoles can now be toggled for every found serial device individually. On RPi the primary UART can be completely disabled and warnings are prompted if Bluetooth and login console are to be enabled both on ttyAMA0. On update existing systems will be patched so that serial-getty masks and enabled instances are removed if the related serial device does not exist. This solves some error messages during boot.
- DietPi-Config | Network Adapter menu has been cleaned up. Proxy variables are now sourced from “/etc/bashrc.d/dietpi-proxy.sh” and proxy setup outside of DietPi scripts is detected.
- DietPi-NordVPN | Added ability to toggle auto start/connect during boot.
- DietPi-Software | Subsonic: Package has been updated to v6.1.5. Many thanks to @spectrumcomputing: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/2702
- DietPi-Software | PHP: All systems will be upgraded to PHP7.3 for security, performance, compatibility and consistency across distro versions. Ondrejs (official Debian PHP maintainer) PHP repository (sury.org) is used for this on Jessie and Stretch, so general functionality and trustworthiness is assured. ownCloud and phpBB users will stay on PHP7.2 for where PHP7.3 is not yet supported. Your PHP configurations will be backed up and webserver configurations adjusted to match the new version. Nextcloud 13 and earlier, especially Jessie systems, will be upgraded to Nextcloud 14 to allow PHP7.3. A full Nextcloud backup will be done, your data, settings and custom apps will be preserved. We strongly advice to further upgrade to the current Nextcloud major version via its web UI updater.
- DietPi-Software | Subsonic: Runs now as limited user “subsonic”. This change is as well applied to existing installs via patch during DietPi-Update: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/2705
- DietPi-Software | WireGuard APT packages are now upgraded when running “apt-get upgrade”. Many thanks to @swrobel for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2671
- DietPi-Software | LXQt, GIMP, XFCE4 Power manager: Now available for installations.
- DietPi-Software | Plex Media Server: All systems are migrated to the new official APT repository. This allows easy and consistent upgrades via APT. On ARM systems the until now used 3rd party dev2day repo receives no further updates and will be shut down soon, which makes the migration mandatory. Many thanks to @WolfganP for keeping us informed with news about Plex v1.15 and the new APT repo: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2655
- DietPi-Software | Logitech Media Server: Now installs the latest nightly version, since no public “releases” are done. As well the systemd service has gone through some update and now runs as limited user to align with other media servers, enhance security and follow the defaults of the DPKG package. The update/change is applied to existing installs via DietPi-Update as well. Your settings/date are preserved.
- DietPi-Software | Nextcloud Talk: We do not apply (D)TLS settings to coTURN any more. Since WebRTC is encrypted by itself there is no security benefit. More importantly Nextcloud Talk does not make use of the required TURNS protocol, so there is absolutely no point to apply these settings. The (D)TLS feature is meant to allow passing firewalls that only allow encrypted traffic. WebRTC, although encrypted, might not pass such firewalls since the encryption is not on transport layer. For those how are interested in further details and discussion: https://github.com/coturn/coturn/issues/33, https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed/issues/257
- DietPi-Software | SABnzbd: Install latest version via GitHub master and skip adjusting existing config file. Systemd unit and dependencies have been adjusted to match minimum requirements and official documentation. The update will be applied via DietPi v6.23 patch as well. Many thanks to @19eighties for reporting the outdated version: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2762
- DietPi-Software | Jackett: On non-ARMv6 devices the new (v0.11+) standalone (non-mono) binary is installed now. This is applied on DietPi-Update as well, preserving your settings: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/2773
- DietPi-Software | Blynk: Enabled support for Debian Buster by using the new Java 11 binary.
- DietPi-Software | UrBackup: New version 2.3.8 is installed now. Many thanks to @DeathIsUnknown for informing us about the update: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2783
- System | Debian has vastly reduced support for Jessie systems from their official APT repository. The limited possible list entries are applied during DietPi-Update. Many thanks to @BerndKohl for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2665
- DietPi-Set_swapfile | Resolved an issue where on first boot (and when calling the script manually) the swapfile creation is attempted on target file systems that do not support it (BTRFS). Many thanks to @mzramna for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/719#issuecomment-484205696
- DietPi-Config | Resolved an issue where proxy settings would not be correct after a reboot. Many thanks to @stephantual for reporting this!: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2704
- DietPi-Update | Resolved an issue where on older images first run update didn’t finalise as intended, leading to several first run setup issues, depending on the image age. The fix has been applied outside of the releases since only the online part of the updater is affected: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/2684
- DietPi-Login | Resolved an issue where login as non-root user could result in a “sudo” password prompt or endless failure loop due to missing sudo permissions. Many thanks to @xsak for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2667
- DietPi-Software | Emby Server: Resolved an issue where download failed if the latest release does not contain a Debian package. Many thanks to @niblettr for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/wget-o-41-exit-code-1-installing-emby/3074/1
- DietPi-Software | Transmission: Resolved an issue where double quotes in global software password caused a service startup failure. Many thanks to @Drew80 for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2484#issuecomment-480675168
- DietPi-Software | WireGuard: Resolved an issue where IPv6 connections did not work with enabled IPv6 forwarding. Many thats to @schnuckz for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2691
- DietPi-Software | Subsonic: Resolved an issue where FFmpeg transcoder might not have been applied correctly. Many thanks to @spectrumcomputing for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2697
- DietPi-Software | AmiBerry: Resolved an issue where no login prompt was present when exiting AmiBerry from fastboot mode. Many thanks to @Trigger58 for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2703#issuecomment-482471440
- DietPi-Software | Logitech Media Server: Resolved an issue where certain plugins failed due to missing “libio-socket-ssl-perl”. Many thanks to @noobian and @Edward for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/squeezeboxserver-lms-error-missing-io-ssl/3117/1
- DietPi-Software | Fail2Ban: Resolved an issue where the service silently failed due to wrong log level settings on Stretch and Buster systems. Many thanks to @joaofl for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/90#issuecomment-485140236
- DietPi-Software | Redis: Resolved an issue on Jessie systems where the service fails to start due to wrong shipped permissions from Debian package: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2736
- DietPi-Software | Nextcloud: Resolved an issue on Lighttpd with HTTPS enabled where OPcache settings were not applied as desired, leading to a warning on Nextcloud admin panel. Many thanks to @Borotes for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2489
- DietPi-Software | Nextcloud/ownCloud: Fixed a wrong directive in our Lighttpd configs. Many thanks to @WilburWalsh for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2775
- DietPi-Software | Nextcloud Talk: Resolved an issue where coTURN prints two warnings about deprecated settings on Buster systems, due to some changes with latest versions.
- DietPi-Software | Kodi: Resolved an issue on RPi where Kodi (v18) fails to start when a custom screen resolution was chosen. Many thanks to @johnnypea for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/kodi-wont-start/3075/8
- DietPi-Software | Java: Resolved an issue where install fails on Jessie systems since the used jessie-backports APT repo does not exist any more: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2752
- DietPi-Software | Java: Resolved an issue where install fails on Buster systems since OpenJDK 8 packages are not available any more on Buster repo. OpenJDK 11 is installed instead, testing with Java software titles is outstanding.
- DietPi-Software | Node.js: Resolved an issue where install failed on ARMv6 since Node 12 does not support it any more. Many thanks to @axwax for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2755
- DietPi-Software | Tor/WiFi Hotspot: Resolved an issue where WiFi Hotspot fails to start when Tor Hotspot is installed. Many thanks to @schnuckz for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2673#issuecomment-482605700
- DietPi-Software | Jackett: Resolved an issue where service start fails after using the internal updater. Many thanks to @DeathIsUnknown for reporting this issue and providing a solution: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2593#issuecomment-490096681
- DietPi-Software | Blynk: Resolved an issue where logging failed and changed the default log dir to /var/log/blynk. Many thanks to @Phil1988 for reporting this issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2777
As always, many smaller code performance and stability improvements, visual and spelling fixes have been done, too much to list all of them here. Check out all code changes of this release on GitHub: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/2784
- DietPi-Config | Enabling WiFi + Ethernet adapters, both on different subnets, breaks WiFi connection in some cases: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2103
- DietPi-Config | RPi: Enabling OpenGL/VC4 causes sound card selection to be invalid: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2173
- RPi | LXAppearance (on LXDE desktop) hangs on dbus-launch: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1791
- Odroid C2 | Some WiFi adapters do no work as hotspot: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1955
- Odroid XU4 | Kodi freezes shortly on video playback: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2584
- Rock64 | 3.5mm A/V jack is currently not functional: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2522
- DietPi-Software | Node-RED: Pre-installed modules cannot be updated via web UI: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2073
- DietPi-Software | Raspimjpeg: With Lighttpd, streaming mjpeg does not work: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1747