Dietpi-installer CPU architecture

I just tried installing, or better converting, a debian server install to dietpi on an old netbook. i did choose i386 as i thought 32bit would do the trick. my old RPi B+ is still 32bit as well and runs dietpi for ages.

anyway to the point: After i rebooted into a fresh debian-11.7.0-i386-netinst system i installed the prereqs and executed the script which quickly terminated with an error message:

“Unsupported CPU architecture”

Now i’m not that tech savvy to make scripts on my own but i did take a quick peek at it over on github and saw that it ends up checking for ‘x86_64’ but not ‘x86’.
i know on PC ppl moved on to x64 mostly but that netbook of mine is quite similar to a RPi in Terms of resources. It only has 1GB of RAM and a 2 core Atom CPU (shows 4 threads). The CPU itself is x64 capable but as we all know x64 is more resource hungry so i was trying to preserve just a bit more RAM and went with 32bit.

So my question is if the script could incorporate x86 as well? if not i’d just like to know why out of curiosity since 32bit still seems to be a thing on older RPi’s.

regards

You are comparing different architectures. As far as I know there was not support (or way back before my time here) for x86, only x86_64. The first model in the x86 architecture was the i386 I think, so it’s often use as an alias for x86.
But the RPi’s use ARM, which is a different architecture than x86. So on ARM you can still use the 32bit images, but there is no 32bit image for your Intel Atom.
BTW what is the exact model? Some Intel Atoms are also x86 only, without 64bit support.

Not sure if i understand what you are trying to tell me. You mean regarding the installer, there was never i386 (as in x86) support, correct? i had a debian i386 installed but had to reinstall everything. not a biggy, prolly better since a lot of other stuff might not even work on i386 in the near future.

also since you asked, here’s my lscpu output (truncated tho). As you can see it has 32 & 64 bit support. Regards!

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
Address sizes: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 28
Model name: Intel(R) Atom™ CPU N570 @ 1.66GHz

we don’t support 32bit on x86 and it is not planned to add. You should go with 64bit if your system is supporting it.

Np, already did the transition to a more powerful system. it was just for tampering and i wanted to know out of curiosity.

close this thread if possible, plz.