Dietpi graphics drivers

Greetings
I am have installed DietPi on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1. All works brilliantly until I try to use the built in graphics for transcoding. Does anyone have any pointers to which drivers I should install for the integrated Intel HD Graphics
Many Thanks

1 Like

Ther are no specific drivers for DietPi. Have a look for Debian/Linux driver. Maybe you can ask manufacturer of your device if the offer such.

What processor is in your machine?
What codec are you trying to transcode x264?
Intel quicksync can encode x264, and only decode x265

You should have intel i915 drivers already loaded stock with dietpi kernels that come stock from the main OS distro

I found a few threads that talked about it, still digging for how to build/install them if they aren’t stock
Also looks like built for 8th gen or higher builds
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF - I wonder if debian edition will ever work on this system. - Linux Mint Forums

GitHub - intel/intel-graphics-compiler

GraphicsCard - Debian Wiki

How to Identify & Find Graphics Drivers for Linux* (intel.com)

Using Hardware-Accelerated Streaming | Plex Support

Install LSHW and see what it shows if it detects it
sudo apt install lshw -y
then run
lshw

I remember seeing it somewhere pointing the hardware to /dev/dri is pretty much automatic…
The issue I stumble across is this

• Linux support for 9th-generation Intel Core (Coffee Lake) or after requires Plex Media Server v1.17.0 or newer.
1 Like

Thank you @WarHawk for your help

Yes the i915 drivers were loaded and associate with the display
Plex is Version 4.100.1

I will work through the other links you so kindly sent. What surprised me was that the seller on the hardware did mention he had run two simultaneous transcribing sessions in Plex while I can not even get one. Will follow up with him to see how this was done.

Ran LSHW and the output for the display was :

-display
             description: VGA compatible controller
             product: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 06
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:29 memory:f7800000-f7bfffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
*-multimedia:0
             description: Audio device
             product: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:03.0
             version: 06
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
             resources: irq:30 memory:f7c34000-f7c37fff

Are you running PLEX in a docker or bare metal?

If docker…you can use the above to get it setup…it has to passthru to the docker container

I remember seeing a transcode directory settings in PLEX transcoder settings tab
if bare metal, try setting it to /dev/dri

Many thanks for the help. In the end I used FFMPEG running as a cron job starting at 2am to convert all the “.ts” files in the appropriate folders to".mpeg".
I think I was asking a little too much of the system for real time transcoding

1 Like