DietPi 6 help

I have read the topic about the upgrade to 6 but still need to know a few things. I am running an odroid.

Can we make and use backups from 5.9 or do we have to rebuild everything again?
Is their any way 5.9 can be updated to 6 without a full reinstall?

I am only asking as I have a few across the country with friends and family that I maintain with SSH and dynamicdns and it would be annoying to get them all posted to me for this upgrade.

I think this information would be useful to many others (myself being one of them), and it should be included in the FAQ.

@Fourdee give you the link in: DietPi v6.0 Information/FAQ to the GitHub thread with more and always up-to-date information : https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1355#issue-285207849
It’s sticky thread in all sub forum here.

Sorry, but you only have to scroll down and read the hole GitHub FAQ thread. Is this to complicated?
Almost every question was ask more then once and answered.

So if you think, it’s worth to have double information here, it’s up to you to do it. Your are Global moderator here!

I don’t think it’s up to me write everything twice.

There’s no reason to get nasty.
I had already read the FAQ on github before writing here and I could not find this information. Maybe I missed it, but you still could point it out way differently, that’s for sure.
You know something that I don’t know. Good for you. I know many other things that you ignore, without treating you badly for this.

Is their any way 5.9 can be updated to 6 without a full reinstall?

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1355#issuecomment-361309473

k-plan commented 2 days ago

Go/switch/chance from DietPi v159 ==>> DietPi v6.0 is simple impossible.
No update, no upgrade, no dist-upgrade.

You will loose all software installations and all settings in any way.

So, copy your > /mnt/dietpi_userdata/ > to a safe location and start to write a fresh image on a sd card.
Boot this sd card in you device and a fresh/new/first/initial installation will start, without additional software.
After you run trough first setup, you can install whatever you like or need via > dietpi-software> .

Can we make and use backups from 5.9 or do we have to rebuild everything again?

Beside, where is no 5.9 to upgrade.

Hmm if “backup” is the problem, please define what you mean with backup?

A dietpi-backup ?

When the answers is no.
Simple file copy of /mnt/dietpi_userdata/ yes, but not for database store, see ownCloud + Nextcloud migration script for v6.0 update and for config files.

I am only asking as I have a few across the country with friends and family that I maintain with SSH and dynamicdns and it would be annoying to get them all posted to me for this upgrade

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1355#issuecomment-361285443

k-plan commented 2 days ago

| > … how to upgrade from 159 to 6.0

Sorry, but not simple upgrade is possible. You have to start with a fresh image.

But if you are on DietPi v159 with your device, all is working fine and you are happy with it, all looking good, stay on it.

Base system behind DietPi is Debian. Debian Jessie has a LTS (long term support) until 2020-04. At least for security updates and fixes.
As well for every package which comes via apt-get from debian repository.

Only things you will miss are DietPi updates and DietPi support from now on.

Some software and applications you have installed may have their own live cycle and support cycle.
If a software project stops or died, where is noting we can do.

No problem, I can go away, so you guys are along and have to search by your self for answer and solution. Think I will be the best.

Good for you, that’s right. And that’s how it should be.

Bye Bye

Thanks.
I think this will be useful to many other forum users.
I actually don’t understand why we are dispersing information on two different platforms (here and github) but of course this is not the right place to discuss this.

It’s simple a problem of spare time, humane resources, people how do work on or things for DietPi project, motivation, coding or doing simple a little bit support on forum and answers some questions.

I would suggest to read a bit here:

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1355#issuecomment-361427742

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1257#issuecomment-350415601

I understand this project is very time consuming, and that having to deal with people who don’t appreciate the efforts is frustrating.
All I am saying is that support should be given either here or on github, not on both as this scatters information on different places and users find it more difficult to find the information they need/are looking for. That’s all.

I think the issue here is, information is available on the forums, in various forms and locations, but simply not found by the user in the 1st instance.

On further review, the release thread covers all releases and the changelog, including links to all relevant information:

As per K-Plan’s recommendation, we also added an announcement for the forums, to provide more info on v6.0:

The user can also use the search function, in the last instance.

Aside from the above, in terms of PHPBB3, I cant see any other ways we could relay this information to the user. If someone has a better suggestion please open a new thread.

I’ll lock this thread for now, as the original question is answered.