Chromium unmet dependencies

Hello,

I have tried to install Chromium in the “ARMv8 64-bit image” and the “ARMv7 32-bit image” on a Raspberry Pi4 in the latest version but it always raises an error that one of the dependencies is not available.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libgtk-3-0 : Depends: libwayland-client0 (>= 1.20.0) but 1.18.0-2~exp1.1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
DietPi-Software
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Step: Installing Chromium: web browser for desktop or autostart

[ INFO ] DietPi-Software | APT install for: chromium-browser chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra libpam-systemd, please wait...
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

libgtk-3-0 : Depends: libwayland-client0 (>= 1.20.0) but 1.18.0-2~exp1.1 is to be installed
[FAILED] DietPi-Software | APT install for: chromium-browser chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra libpam-systemd
 - Command: apt-get -y --allow-change-held-packages install chromium-browser chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra libpam-systemd

Are there any known issues about this and is there a workaround?

Regards
Stefan

Hello Hasenpups, (lol) :smiley:
please use this form when submitting a problem:

Creating a bug report/issue

Required Information

• DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
  • Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
  • Kernel version | uname -a
  • SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)
  • Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower)
  • SD card used | (EG: SanDisk ultra)

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title | (EG: Nextcloud)
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated?
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi?
    ← If you sent a “dietpi-bugreport”, please paste the ID here →
  • Bug report ID | echo $G_HW_UUID

Steps to reproduce

Expected behaviour

Actual behaviour

Extra details

I was not able to recreate this problem on a RPi 4b with the ARmv8 image.
Did you use dietpi-software for the installation of chromium?
And did you change something in your sources.list?

Yes I tried to install directly from the dietpi-software at the first start and configuration of the system. Nothing was changed in the sources.list.

I’m wondering why it did happen on the ARMv8 and ARMv7 image.

I will try it once more with a fresh image and then post the filled bug report

Do you have attached Debian testing (Bookworm) repository? Because this would fit your message, as package libgtk-3-0 (3.24.34-3) depends on libwayland-client0 (>= 1.20.0) Debian -- Details of package libgtk-3-0 in bookworm

As said, this would be Bookworm and not stable Bullseye.

If it is not part of the Default Image I did not add it. Is there any chance to check if it is part of the image?

I used the latest image from the website and just configured it via the dietpi-config.

let’s check source list configured and where the package is coming from

for i in /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list}; do echo "$i:"; cat "$i"; done
apt show libgtk-3-0

This is the result:

root@DietPi:~# for i in /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list}; do echo "$i:"; cat "$i"; done
apt show libgtk-3-0
/etc/apt/sources.list:
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list:
deb https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ bullseye main
Package: libgtk-3-0
Version: 3.24.24-4+rpt7+deb11u2
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Source: gtk+3.0
Maintainer: Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 10.2 MB
Provides: gtk3-binver-3.0.0
Depends: adwaita-icon-theme, hicolor-icon-theme, shared-mime-info, libatk-bridge2.0-0 (>= 2.5.3), libatk1.0-0 (>= 2.35.1), libc6 (>= 2.29), libcairo-gobject2 (>= 1.14.0), libcairo2 (>= 1.14.0), libcolord2 (>= 0.1.10), libcups2 (>= 1.7.0), libepoxy0 (>= 1.4.3), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.12.6), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libfribidi0 (>= 0.19.7), libgdk-pixbuf-2.0-0 (>= 2.40.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.59.0), libharfbuzz0b (>= 1.2.6), libjson-glib-1.0-0 (>= 1.5.2), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.45.5), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.41.0), libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.41.0), librest-0.7-0 (>= 0.7), libwayland-client0 (>= 1.20.0), libwayland-cursor0 (>= 1.14.91), libwayland-egl1 (>= 1.15.0), libx11-6 (>= 2:1.4.99.1), libxcomposite1 (>= 1:0.4.5), libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1), libxext6, libxfixes3, libxi6 (>= 2:1.2.99.4), libxinerama1, libxkbcommon0 (>= 0.5.0), libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.5.0), libgtk-3-common (>= 3.24.24-4+rpt7+deb11u2)
Recommends: libgtk-3-bin, librsvg2-common
Suggests: gvfs
Homepage: https://www.gtk.org/
Download-Size: 2519 kB
APT-Sources: https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 Packages
Description: GTK graphical user interface library

N: There is 1 additional record. Please use the '-a' switch to see it

This is what I did

DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version			| G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=8 G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=9 G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=2 G_GITBRANCH='master' G_GITOWNER='MichaIng'
Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN	| bullseye 0
Kernel version | uname -a							| Linux DietPi 5.15.61-v8+ #1579 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 26 11:16:44 BST 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)		| RPi 4 Model B (aarch64)
Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower)			| Raspberry Pi USB-C Netzteil 5,1V / 3,0A
SD card used | (EG: SanDisk ultra)					| SanDisk Ultra 32GB

Steps to reproduce:

1. Copy image to SD card (https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_RPi-ARMv8-Bullseye.7z - extracted before)
  2. Boot on Pi4
  3. Reboot after first setup
  4. Browse software
  5. Select chromium (113) - nothing else
  6. Hit Install

Error message:

APT install for: chromium-browser chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra libpam-systemd                                        
 - Command: apt-get -y --allow-change-held-packages install chromium-browser chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra            
libpam-systemd                                                                                                       
 - Exit code: 100                                                                                                    
 - DietPi version: v8.9.2 (MichaIng/master) | HW_MODEL: 4 | HW_ARCH: 3 | DISTRO: 6                                   
 - Image creator: DietPi Core Team                                                                                   
 - Pre-image: from scratch                                                                                           
 - Error log:                                                                                                        
Reading package lists...                                                                                             
Building dependency tree...                                                                                          
Reading state information...                                                                                        
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have                                                    
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable                                                   
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created                                                   
or been moved out of Incoming.                                                                                       
The following information may help to resolve the situation:                                                         

Okay it seems to be a general problem with Debian bullseye: Can't install libgtk-3-0? - Raspberry Pi Forums

Yes, I had a look to Raspberry package server, and it seems libgtk-3-0 has been updated yesterday with incorrect dependency. Index of /debian/pool/main/g/gtk+3.0

libgtk-3-0_3.24.24-4+rpt7+deb11u2_amd64.deb|2022-10-10 13:34|2.6M| |
ibgtk-3-0_3.24.24-4+rpt7+deb11u2_arm64.deb|2022-10-10 13:34|2.4M| |
libgtk-3-0_3.24.24-4+rpt7+deb11u2_armhf.deb|2022-10-10 12:55|2.2M| |
libgtk-3-0_3.24.24-4+rpt7+deb11u2_i386.deb|2022-10-10 13:34|2.8M| |

Nothing we can do, except to wait on an upstream fix.

Installation of the Chromium package is now possible again. The problem with the dependencies was fixed. Thank you everyone for the support.