Changed router now Transmission-daemon won't start

Yesterday I had my broadband upgraded and was provided with a new router. My DietPi instance was using a static IP, I’ve updated the network settings on my Pi but I’m having issues.

A couple of times I’ve not been able to ssh to the pi, if I connect the pi to a screen I can see on startup it takes a long time because the transmission-daemon is failing to start, if I look at dietpi-services I can see the status is failed and if I click on status to display the systemd status log it says

State ‘stop-sigterm’ timed out. Killing.

I’ve tried restarting the service and reinstalling transmission with dietpi-software reinstall 44 but I still get the same issues.

I haven’t tried an uninstall as I was hoping I’d keep my in progress torrents.

Is there any way to get more info or can someone suggest a way to get it started again?

Can you show the full Transmission logs:

journalctl -u transmission-daemon

The service shouldn’t fail even if ports are not forwarded and network generally seems to be up as SSH works.

just a stupid question. You are sure there is no IP address conflict? Means the IP address the PI is using as STATIC has not been assigned to a different device by the router? Are you able to switch to DHCP for testing ?

1 Like

I just turned my Pi on again and this time it worked! This is the output I get:

Journal file /var/log/journal/5c945715dc724746b3069674ef849292/system.journal is truncated, ignoring file.
– Journal begins at Thu 2022-07-14 15:17:01 BST, ends at Thu 2022-07-14 17:15:37 BST. –
Jul 14 15:17:13 DietPi systemd[1]: Starting Transmission BitTorrent Daemon…
Jul 14 15:17:15 DietPi systemd[1]: Started Transmission BitTorrent Daemon.
Jul 14 15:17:16 DietPi transmission-daemon[509]: [2022-07-14 15:17:16.389] UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 360448 (tr-udp.c:97)
Jul 14 15:17:16 DietPi transmission-daemon[509]: [2022-07-14 15:17:16.389] UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 360448 (tr-udp.c:105)

@Joulinar I was getting the same issue when I switched to DHCP.

Hmm Transmission fails to get the full configured 4MiB/1 MiB buffer sizes. However that shouldn’t break the process. Please paste that output again when it does fail.

looks like some common Transmission issue if you search the web

People seems to set net.core.rmem_max as well as net.core.wmem_max to work around.

1 Like