Can't Update Chromium - Reinstall Chromium

Hello,

I run DietPi on Raspberry Pi 4 with Chromium in Kiosk mode. Everything works fine except that Chromium displays popup window with information that Chromium cannot be updated.
I thought that after todays update DietPi to latest version this information will dissapear, but it is not.

Does anyone have idea how to remove it?

Best Regards

Hi,

many thanks for your report. You could try to hide all error messages and pop-up during chromium start. For this you would need to edit chromium config file

nano /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh

Basically you would need to change from Kiosk mode into App mode. There is an older discussion on GutHub for this https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/2938#issuecomment-552434467

Basically you can adjust the 2 lines for CHROMIUM_OPTS as follow

CHROMIUM_OPTS=" --test-type --window-size=$RES_X,$RES_Y --start-fullscreen --start-maximized --window-position=0,0 --noerrdialogs"
CHROMIUM_OPTS+=" --app=$URL"

As I don’t have the update error message on my RPi3B+, I’m not able to check if it really get suppressed

On my system, I’m running following version of chromium

root@DietPi3:~# dpkg -l chromium-browser
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name             Version            Architecture Description
+++-================-==================-============-===================================================
ii  chromium-browser 78.0.3904.108-rpt1 armhf        Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome

hi kolaborek this works for you? I have the same issue here.

well you could try it yourself emersonvier and report back if it’s working :wink:

Did not work for me :roll_eyes: , I am still looking for a solution…

It does not work for me too.
Below is my all file /var/lib/dietpi/dietpi-software/installed/chromium-autostart.sh
Did I missed something… ?

#!/bin/bash
# Autostart run script for Kiosk mode, based on @AYapejian https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/1737#issue-318697621
# - Please see /root/.chromium-browser.init (and /etc/chromium.d/custom_flags) for additional egl/gl init options

# Command line switches https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/
# --test-type gets rid of some of the chromium warnings that you may or may not care about in kiosk on a LAN
# --pull-to-refresh=1
# --ash-host-window-bounds="400,300"

# Resolution to use for kiosk mode, should ideally match current system resolution
RES_X=$(sed -n '/^[[:blank:]]*SOFTWARE_CHROMIUM_RES_X=/{s/^[^=]*=//p;q}' /boot/dietpi.txt)
RES_Y=$(sed -n '/^[[:blank:]]*SOFTWARE_CHROMIUM_RES_Y=/{s/^[^=]*=//p;q}' /boot/dietpi.txt)

#CHROMIUM_OPTS="--kiosk --test-type --window-size=$RES_X,$RES_Y --start-fullscreen --start-maximized --window-position=0,0"
CHROMIUM_OPTS="--test-type --window-size=$RES_X,$RES_Y --start-fullscreen --start-maximized --window-position=0,0 --incognito --noerrdialogs --disable-features=TranslateUI"

# If you want tablet mode, uncomment the next line.
#CHROMIUM_OPTS+=' --force-tablet-mode --tablet-ui'

# Add URL for first run:
URL=$(sed -n '/^[[:blank:]]*SOFTWARE_CHROMIUM_AUTOSTART_URL=/{s/^[^=]*=//p;q}' /boot/dietpi.txt)
#CHROMIUM_OPTS+=" --homepage $URL"
CHROMIUM_OPTS+=" --app $URL"

# Find absolute filepath location of Chromium binary.
FP_CHROMIUM=$(command -v chromium)
if [[ ! $FP_CHROMIUM ]]; then

# Assume RPi
        FP_CHROMIUM="$(command -v chromium-browser)"

fi

xinit $FP_CHROMIUM $CHROMIUM_OPTS

What version of Chromium you are running.

dpkg -l chromium-browser

because I don’t see such a message on my test installation

This is my version:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name             Version            Architecture Description
+++-================-==================-============-===================================================
ii  chromium-browser 78.0.3904.108-rpt1 armhf        Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome

strange. my version is the same and I don’t have such a message. Was this message there all the time or just after a while?

It shows up after few hours of working Raspberry (~2h ?). Not after booting it up.
Because of that I started to observe this message after start using my SBC in production (now it is working 24/7), not in development process when RPI was restared quite often.

hm ok. I’m currently on vacation without physical access to my devices. Will do some test once I’m back home.

Hello,

I run DietPi on Raspberry Pi 4 with Chromium in Kiosk mode. Everything works fine except that Chromium displays popup window with information that Chromium cannot be updated.
I thought that after todays update DietPi to latest version this information will dissapear, but it is not.

Does anyone have idea how to remove it?

Best Regards

OwenJoseph
I’ve merged your topic with this, as it’s the same :slight_smile:

In meantime I found this topic on Raspbian board https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=264399
It basically describe exactly the same issue on chromium browser and quite some people struggling with it.

Currently I’m testing a workaround that’s gonna extend the check to 1 year https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=264399

sudo touch /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/01-disable-update-check;echo CHROMIUM_FLAGS=\"\$\{CHROMIUM_FLAGS\} --check-for-update-interval=31536000\" | sudo tee /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/01-disable-update-check

Let’s see if this is working, usually the pop-up is showing up within next 2 hours :slight_smile:

after 3 hours still no pop-up. Looks very promising

EDIT: It was running whole night and still no pop-up. This seems to be working.