Can't get Dietpi to boot on ODROID N2+

I tried this just now; the dd command copied the whole 32GB SD to the eMMC.

When I tried to boot now, I get no boot, no output. The screen is fully black and it seems to do nothing.

I won’t be able to replicate on my eMMC until second week of January. It always worked for me on orange (Hardkernel) 16 GiB eMMC and we fixed it some weeks ago for greentea1 while it still worked for me as well. Quite a disappointment that it now does not work for you two. Nasty that the board/U-Boot is so picky about the eMMC so that we do not seem to find a build which simply works for everyone…

I tried to get it working with Hardkernel’s petitboot, but it does not support all U-Boot syntax we need.

1 Like

Ok I understand now, I thought it was a general thing and that it was broken for everyone with this kind of eMMC.
This obviously makes it ten times harder indeed.

Just FYI if it helps:
I just tried with a Armbian build (Bullseye image for N2+) and that one works just fine.

If there’s a fix for this, I would love to hear about it so I can test a bit further. If not, I will probably have to use Armbian instead of DietPi (while DietPi is my preferred choice, obviously :slight_smile: )

Thanks for the help already given and for future investigation if any.

For now also already a happy New Year of course! Onto an amazing 2023!

Would it be possible to install the Armbian (Debian) build and run our installation script afterwards?

1 Like

I could try that early next week (have some family gatherings today and tomorrow).

Could you give me a step by step guide for the DietPi installation script?
Then I can flash Armbian (Debian, which is the Bullseye image I think so exactly what I have right now on the eMMC) and use the steps for the script.

Have a look to our online docs Supported hardware - DietPi.com Docs

1 Like

Thanks, didn’t know that page existed for this specific installer script.
Seems easy enough, I’ll try it out and will report the results.

Actually my hardkernal orange eMMC works without any problem , I formatted few times already and also re-install dietpi few times without any boot problem at all everything running smooth . And now I just keeping armeridroid’s white eMMC as backup because that white eMMC works with N2+ and XU4 , armeridroid said that emmc works with most single board computers not only odroid .

I highly recommend get this eMMC if you have boot problem with orange eMMC :

TBH 128gb eMMC $45USD is wasted not worth it because you can always use dietpi-drive_manager move the userdata to external ssd for fast performance , 256gb Timetec ssd only cost $25USD and 512gb cost $35 + $10 Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD cable I got more storage and 5 times faster than eMMC .

2 Likes

Let’s see whether Armbian U-Boot helps without breaking again other cases: Odroid N2 | Revert to Armbian U-Boot by MichaIng · Pull Request #6025 · MichaIng/DietPi · GitHub

Build is running, image can be found in ~20 minutes here: Index of /downloads/images/testing

1 Like

Thanks for the test build.

I’ve flashed the image and tried to boot.
It seems to work; going through the first boot process right now.

1 Like

That is great. @greentea1 just if you are in mood and find time, it would be interesting whether this image does as well boot from your orange eMMC (the one which you had issues before), or whether we are in a quandary for (not) supporting either the one or the other eMMC :smile:.

Let’s hope it works for both of us indeed :smiley:

@greentea1
Sorry to bother, will you find time to retest our recent image with Armbian bootloader from Index of /downloads/images/testing? I hope for being able to close the topic :slightly_smiling_face:.

I think you updated the image and the current image do NOT work with the “white” sandisk pcb anymore , I am not sure about the orange pcb which i am currently using it and i don’t want to reformat .

You mean the one in /testing right? Yes that has Armbian’s U-Boot build while the one in stable downloads still has the other one.

Okay so then we are in the bad situation that none of the two bootloaders works in every case, but Armbian’s seem to cause more issues, so we stick with what we have and hope that @KevChief remains the only case.

Btw, there is now the new option to test booting via SPI flash/petitboot. I mean it generally was always an option but our recent images generally have petitboot support now. However, it actually fails for me to boot from eMMC for unknown reasons, only works with SD card and USB flash drive. But worth to test.

You mean the 8.14 image or testing image DietPi_OdroidN2-ARMv8-Bookworm.7z ? tried 8.14 and I just installed on my external ssd and switch to spi but I stucking in initramfs screen , As you can see i have 2x N2+ with 2 different type of PCB eMMC official orange pcb and white sandisk eMMC and 1x XU4 , Let me know if you want me to test it .

Hey mate,
I forgot to take a backup of the build / image you made.
I wanted to create a new factory reset build, but now notice I didn’t save that build and of course remember now that I can’t just download a new image because I need the Armbian U-boot that is not in your normal builds…

Any chance you could create a new build for me as last time; I’ll make sure to back-up this new one for future use if I need it.

Thanks in advance!

Does booting via SPI actually work in your case (with our recent image)? Assuming you have latest petitboot v20220317 flashed there: odroid-n2:os_images:petitboot [ODROID Wiki]

1 Like

@MichaIng , I’ll try Petitboot and report back if that works out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Update: Petitboot seems to work with the latest DietPi image for ODROID N2+.
Thanks!

1 Like

Okay great. Seems like with the non-Armbian bootloader and petitboot at least very most boot issues are covered.

1 Like