Can't authenticate to Gitea using SSH

Required Information

• DietPi version | 8.11.2
  • Distro version | buster
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 5.10.103-v8+ #1529 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 8 12:26:46 GMT 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • SBC model | RPi4
  • Power supply used | Official 5A supply
  • SD card used | Sandisk ultra

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title | gitea
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated? New Install
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi? Unsure

Steps to reproduce

Install Gitea.
Add a user & their SSH key.
Create a repo.
Add it as an SSH remote to a client.
Attempt to push.

Actual behaviour

Cannot push/pull to repos via Gitea if authenticating using SSH.
The client insists on asking for a password to the remote host. No password works and the server (dropbear) logs a User account 'gitea' is locked each time I make an attempt.

Extra details

HTTP auth works fine.
The keypair works on Github so I trust that is working fine. I also use the same keypair when SSHing into the RPi itself, with no apparent issues.
Multiple clients with different keys hit the same problem.
At first I thought it was because I had routed Gitea through an NGINX reverse proxy, but even after removing that, I have the same issue.
My symptoms sound the same as Troubles SSHing to Gitea, but I don’t get the same error from Dropbear (just the account locked message), or any other errors from Gitea. I tried giving gitea shell access anyway, but it didn’t help.

did you adjust the user gitea as described on the other post? Troubles SSHing to Gitea - #19 by LTM

By default the user has no login possibility.

OK, it turned out to be a couple issues from the combo of Gitea and Dropbear on Dietpi:

1. The dropbear version shipped with dietpi is quite old, and doesn’t support the fairly standard ed25519 keytype. RSA keys also didn’t work because they are disabled on most clients. I had to override the clients to allow +ssh-rsa, which isn’t secure, but is fine on my local only install. I’d recommend updating the Dropbear shipped in Dietpi to a version that can handle more recent SSH key types.

2. As hinted at in the other thread, Gitea adds arguments in authorized_keys that Dropbear doesn’t support. Gitea will have to fix this long term (restrict and no-user-rc in authorized_keys cause error in dropbear(openwrt). · Issue #21383 · go-gitea/gitea · GitHub), but in the meantime I could manually edit the authorized_keys file to remove them

3. I had already tried it, but verified that the Gitea user needs shell access as described in the other thread. It would be great if this wasn’t necessary but I don’t know enough about how Gitea works to tighten it up otherwise.

DietPi don’t have an own repository. We use global Debian apt repository. Means, version of Dropbear depends on your Debian version Debian -- Package Search Results -- Dropbear

A newer version would be available on Debian Bullseye. There you would need to upgrade your system. Just have a look to our upgrade guide DietPi - How to upgrade to "Bullseye" - DietPi blog

2 Likes