Any recommendations for a VPN and Torrent client combination?

For the past 3 years I’ve been using NordVPN and Transmission but for the past month or so it’s been terrible.

I connect to the vpn through dietpi-vpn 95% of the time it no longer downloads torrents and the rest of the time it’s super slow (less than 1MB/s, doing a speed test will show a quick upload and download speed though)

I’ve tried a bunch of stuff and raised tickets with Nord but I don’t know what the issue is, but as I said I’ve used Nord for 3 years and never had these issues.

My current subscription ends in May so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a better provider and / or torrent client that you use?

I don’t have a screen connected to my Pi so accessing the client through the web is a must.

Hello. I use ProtonVPN with QBittorrent and it works really well when a proper VPN gateway is selected. I never had any issues with this setup, so never really looked further.

QBittorrent can also satisfy your requirements for running in headless mode with remote control over WebUI.

For ref.:

Indeed in case of a VPN, the provider needs to support P2P connections, and at best even port forwarding, to forward even incoming requests back to your machine. But the latter is usually an extra service, and it gives you one or more specific ports which need to be used by your BitTorrent software as well then. Not sure if ProtonVPN supports this as well?