After Updated to 9.1.1 Netdata Remained at v1.29.3

Creating a bug report/issue

-Bug Report submitted but can’t acquire number

I have searched the existing open and closed issues

Required Information

• DietPi version | G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=9 G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=1 G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=1 G_GITBRANCH='master' G_GITOWNER='MichaIng' G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[0]='not applicable'
  • Distro version | bullseye 0
  • Kernel version | 5.10.103-v8+ #1529 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 8 12:26:46 GMT 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • Architecture | arm64
  • SBC model | `RPi 3 Model B+ (aarch64)’
  • Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower)
  • SD card used | ‘SanDisk ultra 64gb’

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title | (Netdata v1.29.3)
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated? installed freshly uninstalled reinstalled

Steps to reproduce

1. Updated to 9.1.1
  2. Netdata still at v1.29.3

Expected behaviour

• Updated to current Deit Pi Netdata v1.37.1

Actual behaviour

• Remained Netdata v1.29.3

Extra details

• After Updated to 9.1.1 and Netdata did not update I uninstalled and reinstalled Netdata with no change.

apt update && apt full-upgrade

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
All packages are up to date.
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Hello,
you are still on debian bullseye

And bullseye only serves version 1.29.
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/netdata-web

You would need to upgrade your system to bookworm to get netdata 1.37.

2 Likes

Yes correct. Netdata is installed from global Debian repository. The installed version depends on your Debian version and has no direct relation to DietPi version.

1 Like

What a coincidence, I was just looking to upgrade Netdata too, to a more recent version. I am at Bookworm and was wondering why I have a pretty old version (1.37)… This declares a lot.

By now, version 1.37 is 15 months old and I can imagine that besides some new functionality, there are also security breaches fixed.

I don’t know what a global Debian repository is - sorry for that - but I was wondering what the reason for such a choice is. Purely to learn a bit more. My Linux-kernel for example (based on armbian for odroid hc4) is much more up-to-date.

Is it possible for me to update Netdata manually to a recent version?

DietPi is based on Debian, therefore we use this repository to install software packages. Packages from an apt software repository are simple to install because they are precompiled and ready to use. Usually these packages are globally managed by an upstream maintainer and out of our responsibility.

Theoretically you could install and compile it yourself from source.

1 Like

Debians philosophy is to choose stability over actuality.
Here is a brief comparison which arch, which has a rolling release strategy:
https://linovox.com/debian-vs-arch-linux/
And of course security problems getting fixed a fast as possible, you don’t need to wait for the next major release.

Thanks @Jappe and @Joulinar for both of your answers!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.