After update to 8.11.2 problem to access 1-wire devices with OWFS

Creating a bug report/issue

Required Information

  • DietPi version: 8.11.2
  • Distro version: bullseye
  • Kernel version: Linux Raspi02 5.15.76-v7+ #1597 SMP Fri Nov 4 12:13:17 GMT 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
  • SBC model: RPi 2 Model B (armv7l)
  • Power supply used: 5V 1A
  • SD card used: Intenso 32GB

Additional Information (if applicable)

  • Software title: OWFS
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated: no
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi: unkown

Steps to reproduce

  1. dietpi-update from dietpi Version 8.8 or 8.9 (not comletely sure)
  2. finished update with reboot, as requested.
  3. owfs / owserver (3.2p4) did not show any devices

Expected behaviour

I ran the device with five connected 1-wire device before the update without any issue.
But now the 1-wire devices are not detected any more.

Actual behaviour

Extra details

The interface for the the devices is a USB zu 1-Wire Interface, Dallas-Bridge-IC DS2480B+, mit FTDIs FT232R.

I don’t belive the problem is OWFS specific. The software is quite mature and stable. Latest change is from 2020-08-23.

I would rather suspect a modification in the USB area to prevent a connection to USB Interface stick. Any hints in the change set of the last 2-3 months about modifications in this area?

Thanks for your help.

usually, we don’t do anything on the level. Probably a conflict with one of the latest Raspberry Pi kernel version.

can you have a look into kernel error massages

dmesg -l err,crit,alert,emerg

Thanks for your answer - but no error visible.

I’ll try to go back to the previsous dietpi version, do some logs and compare with 8.11.2.

Before updating DietPi, you can run apt package updates before, to check which packages will be updated

apt update
apt upgrade

So - I started again with the previously used dietpi image. When I powered on the Raspi it automatically upgraded to 8.11.2 version without letting me execute some tests with the “old” version.

Once this was completed, I installed the OWFS package with apt-get. Luckily I could see all devices again.

To summarize - the problem seemed to appear based on the order of the installation:

OWFS installed, then update to 8.11.2 → failed.
Update to 8.11.2, the OFWS installed → worked.

Joulinar - thanks for looking into the topic.

I’m just guessing bit It might be related to the kernel package update. Probably the order matters in which kernel update is going to be installed

OWFS installed, then update to 8.11.2 → failed.

Kernel update will be installed after OWFS

Update to 8.11.2, the OFWS installed → worked.

Kernel update will be installed before OWFS