March 2023 (version 8.15)¶
The March 11th, 2023 release of DietPi v8.15 comes with new images for the StarFive VisionFive 2 RISC-V board, the PINE64 Quartz64 and a couple of improvements and bug fixes.
- VisionFive 2 An experimental image has been added. For details, please read our related blog post: https://dietpi.com/blog/?p=2629
- ROCK 5B Resolved an issue with kernel upgrades since the boot partition was too small. The image is now shipped without a dedicated boot partition. Many thanks to @isarrider and @skyuplam for reporting this issue and testing the solution: MichaIng/DietPi#6206
- Build-Essential The C/C++ build tools and headers install option has been removed. It was used as generic dependency for other software options, but with the downside that often more packages were installed than required. When compiling is done, specific additional development headers are usually required anyway, so adding the required compiler and in case
makeper software option isn’t such a burden. Hence, this has been done gradually and finally finished, making “Build-Essential” obsolete.
- Quartz64 Major kernel update to latest v6.1.16, stable U-Boot v2022.04 and enabled a lot of kernel features for various container engines and firewall/filter tasks: MichaIng/DietPi#6151. The kernel upgrade will be applied on DietPi update.
- Odroid C4/HC4 Added support for HDMI audio to
dietpi-config. The manual setup via
a(lsa)mixerwas very complicated. Many thanks to @MDAR for testing the solution: MichaIng/DietPi#6178
- VisionFive 2 Updated Linux to v5.15.98.
- DietPi-Installer Resolved an issue where conflicting network configurations were left in place, e.g. from
cloud-initwhen running the script on a VPS Debian image. Many thanks to @mews-se for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6067
- DietPi-CPU_info The script and
cpucommand do not require root privileges anymore. Many thanks to @hansratzinger for bringing this to our attention: MichaIng/DietPi#6196. The option to write available scaling frequencies to a file via command argument “2” has been removed as well. This was not documented anywhere and has no use for end users. Internally it was used by
dietpi-config, where the code has now been moved to and overall shortened.
- DietPi-Config VisionFive 2: Added an entry to “Advanced Options” to update the SPI flash bootloader.
- DietPi-Software | XRDP TLS via snakeoil certificate is now enabled OOTB. This leads to a warning shown on Windows RDP clients until either a proper certificate signed by a trusted CA is used (e.g. by Let’s Encrypt), or it is muted for the particular server via checkbox at the client. Many thanks to @amibumping for providing the needed step: MichaIng/DietPi#5976
- DietPi-Software | Home Assistant Our Home Assistant integration used two Python environments: A pyenv is used to install the
homeassistantcore module and its direct dependencies. Home Assistant itself installs its frontend with dependencies on startup, as well as dependencies for integrations on demand, internally into another Python environment. On Home Assistant reinstalls, pyenv is removed but the internal dependencies were left untouched. This caused issues when those dependency builds were incompatible with the new pyenv Python version, or conflicting with other pyenv module upgrades.
Both environments are now merged and reset on every reinstall, which solves potential conflicts but means that the first Home Assistant startup after a reinstall takes longer. Many thanks to @maury77 for reporting a related issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6117
- DietPi-Software | WiFi Hotspot hostapd and the DHCP server are not stopped and restarted on DietPi updates, software installs and backups anymore, since the hotspot might be used by the client which does this task and then cuts its own connection. Many thanks to @symbios24 for making us aware of this: MichaIng/DietPi#6166
- DietPi-Software | Box64 Added RISC-V support, as well as optimised builds for Raspberry Pi 3 and RK3588 boards, available since v0.2.2: https://github.com/ptitSeb/box64/releases/tag/v0.2.2
- Quartz64 Resolved an issue where the system boots read-only on very first boot. Many thanks to @belveder79 for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6149
- DietPi-Sync Resolved an issue where the prompt after the dry run was shown even in non-interactive mode (input argument “1”), and when selecting
ESC, the real sync ran regardless. Many thanks to @Ruud for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/howto-call-dietpi-sync-1-without-user-interaction/15964
- DietPi-Config Resolved a v8.14 regression where an invalid post-down interface entry was created when using WiFi Hotspot. Many thanks to @as-shura for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6224
- DietPi-Software | Docker Compose Resolved an issue where installing and uninstalling Docker Compose could have failed if pip was installed without the
distutilsmodule. Many thanks to @bccarbone for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6153
- DietPi-Software | Pi-hole Resolved an issue where Nginx, if chosen as webserver, failed to start due to an invalid variable. Many thanks to @Trimble-tech for reporting this issue: https://dietpi.com/forum/t/pi-hole-install-crashes-nginx/15960
- DietPi-Software | Python 3 Resolved an issue where the install failed because pip started to deny system-wide package installs without passing a new flag.
- DietPi-Software | Synapse Resolved an issue where the install failed on Debian Bookworm.
- DietPi-Software | Koel Resolved an issue where the install failed on Buster systems, since Koel 5.1.14 requires at least PHP 7.4. Koel 5.0.2 will now be installed on Buster, being the latest functional one supporting PHP 7.3. Many thanks to @bartolus39 for reporting this issue: MichaIng/DietPi#6226
As always, many smaller code performance and stability improvements, visual and spelling fixes have been done, too much to list all of them here. Check out all code changes of this release on GitHub: MichaIng/DietPi!6231