Odroid N2 failing to run stable

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
paradix

Odroid N2 failing to run stable

Post by paradix »

I have been trying to get dietpi to run on my two odroid N2 4Gb ram. But on every clean install reboots, kernel panics and SD card crc errors happen.
This happens on buster and on bullseye images.

I tried different SD cards and also a emmc module.
Also moved roots to ssd. I swaped power adapters, each time without any success.

It seems like this happend many times during the installation of docker-compose when pynacl was build.

Other than that I have no clues.

Maybe someone had similar issues and could give some advice.

Best regards
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Odroid N2 failing to run stable

Post by MichaIng »

Many thanks for your report. Can you paste the kernel errors, at best the surrounding section in journalctl so we can see other possible system logs.
paradix

Post by paradix »

I'll see what I can do. Because after such a kernel panic most of the time I was not able to boot anymore.
Something got corrupt and during boot up I got a ton of some kind of crc erroro

Code: Select all

[ 1653.212244@0] meson-mmc: sd: warning... data crc,
This leads most of the times to unsuccessful boot.

That's the only thing I can provide for now as no logs are preserved after the crash

If you can give me a hint on how to preserve logs I'll be glad to provide them. For now even setting logging from Ram-Log to Full-Log gives no logs after the crash.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

If with full logging enabled /var/log/syslog does not contain anything related to the crash, then the system did not or was not able to log anything :(.

The kernel did not change for a while, and you say you face the same on the old Buster image, so it must be triggered by something specific to your system/setup (not ruling out that it could be solved kernel wise as well).

Do you have any USB devices or other peripherals attached, aside of the screen? It seems to be triggered by high system loads (PyNaCl build), so a power/voltage issue is what we may look for. I remember that the N2 (with official Hardkernel kernel) generally has issues with USB, so probably it does not handle power draw from USB devices properly which leads to an undervolted/unstable remaining system in case of peaks.
paradix

Post by paradix »

I was able to recover some logs during

syslog - https://0bin.net/paste/+lcG6+Iv#iTP7AqT ... C02cDokE2K

This time I had tested with only a logitech wireless keyboard dongle attached to usb. Still failing.

I tried armbian and there I get no issues. I could probably be the kernel. But I wasn't able to create a dietpi image out of armbian.