How to install KODI 18.7 on Bullseye? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
ISquishWorms

Re: How to install KODI 18.7 on Bullseye?

Post by ISquishWorms »

Sorry my mistake, it just takes longer to wake up the TV when using the non fake driver (KMS). What I meant was that I leave the TV in standby and usually when I turn on or even reboot my Pi it will wake the TV up out of standby and switch to the HDMI input automatically. I was wrong though I just did not wait long enough, it does still do this as before just takes a little more time.

I tried incrementing the card 0 index by one as suggested but I still do not seem to have sound when using the KMS driver. I rebooted after making this adjustment and selecting the real KMS driver again.

Here is the contents of my /etc/asound.conf file with the adjustments I made:

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
        device 0
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
}
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Can you check the output of the following command to list all sound devices and their index:

aplay -l
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

Ah according to that command that you provided I do not have a card 1. I have a card 0 and a card 2.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 2: vc4hdmi [vc4-hdmi], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
I will try again later but this time I will set it to card 2 and will report back. I have just remembered I do have a cheap USB Mic plugged into it, not sure why it lists Headphones though as I do not have any of them connected.

Is there a way to check that I do infact have the correct version from that raspberry untested repo as at the top left Kodi's title reads: "Kodi from debian". I was wondering if that is correct? I am just not convinced that it is using the correct repo as on the Raspberry Pi forum in the Build Kodi topic users are reporting that the CEC is not working unless they build it themselves, yet my CEC is working?
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

It is fixed, including smooth playing of movies with sound and CEC.

Thank you both so much for all the help and your patience. :D <3

Here are the steps I took that seemed to fix it.
1. Uninstalled Kodi.
2. Rebooted
3. echo 'deb https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ bullseye main untested' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list
4. apt update
5. apt install --reinstall --allow-downgrades kodi (this time it def used the untested repo, don't think it did when I tried previously)
6. /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware rpi-opengl vc4-kms-v3d (think this was already set to KMS as I had left it from testing earlier)
7. nano /etc/asound.conf (changed all instanaces of card 0 to card 2. I guess this may need to be a diff number for other users)
8. dietpi-config -> AutoStart Options -> Kodi
9. Rebooted
10. Kodi Settings -> System -> Audio -> Audio output device -> vc4-hdmi, SAM SAMSANG on HDMI

Played video was not choppy, had sound and CEC is working. 8)

Blacklists for the camera modules were removed in previous testing, not sure what impact if any this had on the outcome of the above procedure.

Maybe I did not need to change the file /etc/asound.conf and could have just changed the Audio output device within Kodi I am not sure if this step is required.

Off to watch some videos, thanks again...
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Great that it works now.

I'm a bit confused about KMS and sound card indices now. In the past at least the vc4hdmi sound card(s) appear with lowest index and the regular 3.5mm hack/HDMI cards with higher index. Obviously this has changed, which is good as then the index doesn't need to be adjusted anymore, only based on whether KMS is enabled or not.

But you say now using card 0 for 3.5mm jack audio does not work? Or as you should get HDMI audio now with card 2, were you expecting HDMI audio before?

Could you test the following:

/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware soundcard rpi-bcm2835-auto
sed -i 's/card 1/card 0/' /etc/asound.conf
reboot
# after reboot
aplay -l
And if card 1 is not available or card 0 is not the regular HDMI device (not "vc4hdmi", but "HDMI"):

/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware soundcard rpi-bcm2835-hdmi
sed -i 's/card 1/card 0/' /etc/asound.conf
reboot
# after reboot
aplay -l
The question is whether KMS somehow breaks regular audio output, or whether it at least forcefully disabled the regular HDMI sound device. Interesting is that it is index 2 even that index 1 is not set.

Ah and now I see the audio device setting in Kodi. Please try to leave this at "default" to not force usage of this "vc4hdmi" audio device.
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

The reason I changed the audio device setting in Kodi is because I still had no sound until I did this.

Here are the results of the commands you asked me to try:

root@RaspberryPi-3:/home/dietpi# /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware soundcard rpi-bcm2835-auto

DietPi-Set_hardware
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Mode: soundcard (rpi-bcm2835-auto)

[ INFO ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Checking for required APT packages: alsa-utils
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | All required APT packages are already installed.
[ INFO ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Resetting all sound card settings...
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | rm /etc/asound.conf
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | rm /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
alsa-lib parser.c:2179:(load_toplevel_config) Unable to find the top-level configuration file '/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/ucm.conf'.
alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:0 use case configuration -2
alsa-lib parser.c:2179:(load_toplevel_config) Unable to find the top-level configuration file '/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/ucm.conf'.
alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:1 use case configuration -2
Found hardware: "USB-Audio" "USB Mixer" "USB8086:0808" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:2 use case configuration -2
Found hardware: "vc4-hdmi" "" "" "" ""
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | sed -Ei s/^[[:blank:]]*(hdmi_drive(:[01])?=.*$)/#\1/ /boot/config.txt
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | sed -Ei /^[[:blank:]]*dtoverlay=dietpi-disable_(hdmi_audio|headphones)/d /boot/config.txt
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Setting in /boot/config.txt adjusted: dtparam=audio=off
[ INFO ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Applying new sound card settings...
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Desired setting in /boot/dietpi.txt was already set: CONFIG_SOUNDCARD=rpi-bcm2835-auto
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Setting in /boot/config.txt adjusted: dtparam=audio=on
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | alsactl -g store
[  OK  ] soundcard rpi-bcm2835-auto | Completed
root@RaspberryPi-3:/home/dietpi# sed -i 's/card 1/card 0/' /etc/asound.conf
root@RaspberryPi-3:/home/dietpi# reboot
root@RaspberryPi-3:/home/dietpi# aplay -l
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
  Subdevices: 8/8
card 2: vc4hdmi [vc4-hdmi], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
As card 1 was not available and card 0 was not the regular HDMI device I went on to try the other commands. Here are the results of those commands:

root@RaspberryPi-3:/home/dietpi# /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware soundcard rpi-bcm2835-hdmi

DietPi-Set_hardware
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Mode: soundcard (rpi-bcm2835-hdmi)

[ INFO ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Checking for required APT packages: alsa-utils
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | All required APT packages are already installed.
[ INFO ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Resetting all sound card settings...
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | rm /etc/asound.conf
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | rm /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:0 use case configuration -2
alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:1 use case configuration -2
Found hardware: "USB-Audio" "USB Mixer" "USB8086:0808" "" ""
alsa-lib main.c:1014:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:2 use case configuration -2
Found hardware: "vc4-hdmi" "" "" "" ""
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | sed -Ei s/^[[:blank:]]*(hdmi_drive(:[01])?=.*$)/#\1/ /boot/config.txt
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | sed -Ei /^[[:blank:]]*dtoverlay=dietpi-disable_(hdmi_audio|headphones)/d /boot/config.txt
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Setting in /boot/config.txt adjusted: dtparam=audio=off
[ INFO ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Applying new sound card settings...
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Setting in /boot/dietpi.txt adjusted: CONFIG_SOUNDCARD=rpi-bcm2835-hdmi
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Setting in /boot/config.txt adjusted: dtparam=audio=on
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Compiling device tree overlay: /boot/overlays/dietpi-disable_headphones.dtbo
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Added setting dtoverlay=dietpi-disable_headphones to end of file /boot/config.txt
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | Comment in /boot/config.txt converted to setting: hdmi_drive=2
[  OK  ] DietPi-Set_hardware | alsactl -g store
[  OK  ] soundcard rpi-bcm2835-hdmi | Completed
root@RaspberryPi-3:/home/dietpi# sed -i 's/card 1/card 0/' /etc/asound.conf
card 0: vc4hdmi [vc4-hdmi], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
After rebooting I went back into Kodi and changed the audio output device back to: Default(vc4-hdmi MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0)()
I still have sound having changed it back to Default although it is quieter than when I had it set to: vc4-hdmi, SAM SAMSANG on HDMI

Hope this is of some help and what you were after, I do have a USB Mic plugged into the Pi this is just a very small mic though and has no headphones. I am not sure if that is messing with the card index.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Very strange, so indeed the full KMS driver seems to completely replace the previous HDMI sound device with its own one now. That was different before. And it is card 2 even that card 1 is then unused, but when headphones are disabled as well (second test with HDMI only enabled), it is card 0... Puhh difficult logic. I'll also run some tests to verify that it's the same on all RPi models.

Ah I forgot the overlay parameters to disable KMS HDMI, though not sure whether this leaves/makes the general HDMI sound device available:

G_CONFIG_INJECT 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d' 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio' /boot/config.txt
reboot
aplay -l
Probably, since it is a "HDMI/HVS/V3D driver", it is simply required to use it's own HDMI audio device than while the usual one works only without full KMS driver :?.
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

Here is the result of running those commands:

root@RaspberryPi-3:/home/dietpi# G_CONFIG_INJECT 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d' 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio' /boot/config.txt
[  OK  ] G_CONFIG_INJECT | Setting in /boot/config.txt adjusted: dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio

card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 7/8
After running the above commands I see the Pi start booting some text flashes on the TV screen as it boots. Then the display goes blank and the TV says No HDMI Signal.

I can log into my Pi using SSH though.
I manually edited the /boot/config.txt and removed the noaudio and now it boots again into Kodi.

Within Kodi audio output device settings I have the folllowing listed (I am using the Default as suggested).
1. Default (vc4-hdmi MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0) ()
2. vc4-hdmi (),MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0
3. vc4-hdmi (vc4hdmi), MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0
4. vc4-hdmi (vc4hdmi), SAM SAMSUNG on HDMI
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

The official legit noaudio parameter breaks KMS? A pity... It did restore the original HDMI sound device, so would be been a good solution. Probably a bug that needs to be resolved firmware wise.
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

When I used: G_CONFIG_INJECT 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d' 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio' /boot/config.txt and rebooted the Pi3 flashed some text on the screen looked like it was trying to reboot as normal. This text vanished and the HDMI then dropped and I had no signal to the TV. I was unable to connect using SSH when I tried I would get SSH connection refused. Only after turning the Pi3 off for 30 seconds and then back on was I able to connect using SSH, I still had no signal from the HDMI though that got dropped during boot.

I think it might very well be a firmware bug. As with that noaduio command I could not always connect back to the Pi3 simply by rebooting I would have to turn if off and on again to be able to connect via SSH. It is like something is crashing during boot before it fires up the SSH server. My guess is it crashes at the point that the HDMI fails during boot. I would then have to turn on and off the Pi3 even though the same thing happens with HDMI in that the signal drops I was able to get on using SSH. So I guess it at least manages to load the SSH server if the Pi is not simply rebooted but turned off and then back on. Hope that makes some sense I tried to explain it the best I can.

To fix it I simply removed the noaduio manually using nano from the /boot/config.txt after doing that it would boot normally.

Maybe it could also be a bug with Kodi? As this will be trying to load up on boot. Perhaps it has issues loading if noaduio has been set for some reason. If it is Kodi crashing though on boot then I do not understand why the SSH server did not seem to be running and I got a connection refused when I tried to connect. Is that loaded up before Kodi trys to load? Maybe if it is Kodi crashing on boot it takes down the Pi or some other services with it so the SSH server gets killed off with it? I am just guessing now. Maybe it is because the audio output device is set to Default within Kodi so when the device is disabled it just hangs or crashes as it can't find it? As Kodi loads on boot it could be Kodi and not a firmware bug I guess dunno.