How to install KODI 18.7 on Bullseye? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: How to install KODI 18.7 on Bullseye?

Post by MichaIng »

I'm also not sure. One user had it solved, but not sure whether this is generally solved now or due to some unidentified solution step while playing around with the different ideas we had. So yeah, if one has an RPi 4 for testing, that would be great.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Let me see if I have time tomorrow to do a test on PRi4B ARMv8
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Not sure what changed but Kodi 19.1 is starting fine on my RPi4B ARMv8 Bullseye. :)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
DarrenHill

Post by DarrenHill »

May be of interest - there's a thread on the Pi Foundation forum by Popcornmix about building Kodi (19.3) on Bullseye - https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=323303
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

That is great news :D!! The RPi Kodi repository is updated with a Bullseye branch: https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/tree/bullseye

It has a build script. Interesting is a build flag -DENABLE_VAAPI=OFF which seems to be the one we were looking for to mute the libva warnings on Kodi start.

Good notes also about rpivid-v4l2 device tree overlay for HEVC/H.265 hardware acceleration, cma-512 option for 4k video playback and that gpu_mem doesn't need to be increased over the default value.

The question is whether it's worth that we rebuild our ARMv6/7 packages for Bullseye with this, or whether we wait for it to be released via RPi package repository.
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

This sounds like good news. :)

Does this mean CEC will now work? I formatted my card again and have only installed PiHole and Ubound currently I skipped Kodi due to CEC not working in Kodi on Bullseye.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

That might already work now. libcec6 builds are available now: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... c/?C=M;O=D
The current Kodi package was compiled against libcec from Debian, but the same version 6.
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

After you mentioning that CEC might be working now I decided to install Kodi to test it out. I used dietpi-software command to do the install and rebooted after it was complete. I set Kodi to load at boot when I was prompted during the install. Kodi does not load though and I get an Error message and my RaspberryPi drops straight into root without needing to login it would seem?

The error message reads:
failed to open zone.tab
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

This is a clean RaspberryPi 3 install the only other software I had installed prior a day or two back was PiHole together with Unbound, both of these are working as expected.

Just a side note what would I need to change to allow Kodi to run at boot using the dietpi user? I guess this would stop it from dropping straight into root should it fail for any reason in future.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

there is no benefit of running Kodi as user dietpi. If it fails, it will drop to CLI as well.

The topic we discussed above was to have Kodi running on RPi4 64bit. Can you share the Kodi version you use

Required Information
  • DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
  • Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
  • Kernel version | uname -a
  • SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)
  • Kodi version | dpkg -l kodi
ISquishWorms

Post by ISquishWorms »

Hi Joulinar,

Thanks for replying and taking a look. Here is the information requested:

Code: Select all

DietPi version:
G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=7
G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=8
G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=2
G_GITBRANCH='master'
G_GITOWNER='MichaIng'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[0]='not applied'

Distro version:
bullseye 0

Kernal version:
Linux RaspberryPi-3 5.10.63-v8+ #1459 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 6 16:42:49 BST 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

SBC model:
RPi 3 Model B+ (aarch64)

Kodi version:
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version        Architecture Description
+++-==============-==============-============-==============================================
ii  kodi           2:19.1+dfsg2-2 arm64        Open Source Home Theatre (executable binaries)