is diepi-update the only update I need to do? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
albone3000

is diepi-update the only update I need to do?

Post by albone3000 »

Hi, I love dietpi and I use it for a bunch of different things. I use it on a few pi's and I also run it on a vps.

My question is do I need to update the applications Ive installed through dietpi-software individually or does dietpi-update take care of it? I believe dietpi-update does an apt update, but does it update my installs of pivpn and pihole, or do I need to run pihole -up for example? Thanks!
Joulinar

Re: is diepi-update the only update I need to do?

Post by Joulinar »

Depending on your application, you would need to run them individually like pihole -up in case of Pihole. Other applications installed via apt are updated during dietpi-update as we execute apt upgrade before. And last category would be applications having an own update function via their web interface like Sonarr/Radarr.

Usually we describe the method on how to update on our online docs for each software title. If nothing is described, it's most probably done by apt.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

As a rule of thumb, if there is any other internal or native way to update a specific software title/module/package, including the use of package managers like apt, pip or npm, you can and should use it, independently of DietPi updates. The latter upgrades all APT packages, as stated, and in rare cases performs dietpi-software reinstalls when a breaking change has been done and we decided to migrate all users instead of keeping backwards-compatibility code in our scripts.

Pi-hole is a good example why we should try to minimise force software upgrades. The Pi-hole team does notable efforts to encourage users reading the release notes before updating Pi-hole, as there may always be breaking changes involved, or a changed behaviour, and the number of reports on their forum which could have been avoided by reading the release notes is still high :). We would counteract these efforts when performing an upgrade automatically, which should better be done attentive and individually when there is time to check release notes and observe effects :). APT packages are usually a different thing, as, at least aside of 3rd party repos, backwards-compatibility and non-breaking changes are assured by Debian policies for a stable Debian release.
albone3000

Post by albone3000 »

got it! thanks.