network storage related questions.. Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
kannz

Re: network storage related questions..

Post by kannz »

It worked. :D Thank you I'll post if I have any other questions.
kannz

Post by kannz »

um i had to switch harddrives..anywho i cant get the share to work. edited samba config so that its pointed to the right /mnt even reloaded dietpi. all i get is the network error popup when i try to go to its share through the ip //192.168.1.12. not sure what i didnt do.

EDIT: sigh i restarted my computer one time and the dumb thing let me log in...so dumb.. :lol:

one other question. is is easier to use a computer with linux on it to copy files to a ext4 samba share or are you able to copy from a windows computer to a ext4 network share? as right now my hdd is formatted to poopy ntfs and it causes the cpu to freak out when i try to download something.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Windows 10 did not support ext4 (yet) as it require a special build https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... and-wsl-2/

However I would recommend to use a Linux box to copy data into a ext4 drive
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kannz

Post by kannz »

looks like I'll have to install linux on something..got a recommendation for which flavor? probably going to install it on a old NUC.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Why not using a VM where you connect your disk on. You could use DietPi as well.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kannz

Post by kannz »

not familiar with using a vm. as the device that im using for dietpi is has limited usb speed wouldnt it be much faster to use a pc with linux instead of a vm?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

if you have a Windows box running, you could simply install VirtualBox and spin up a VM container. This might be faster and easier than getting a computer from somewhere and install some Linux on top. Basically it doesn't matter what Linux you are using. Could be DietPi is well as we offer images for native pc as well.
kannz

Post by kannz »

I guess ill try a vm first.

EDIT: kay at the first problem..says no bootable medium found. not sure what im supposed to do.
alright looks like i needed a image of an a os.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yes you need to download an image for the VM solution you installed. We are offering a couple of at https://dietpi.com/#download

How to install https://dietpi.com/docs/install/
kannz

Post by kannz »

had an error when trying to connect my hdd to it. E_FAIL 0x80004005 error ver_pdm_no_usb_ports

EDIT:some post says to change usb controller but i cant..

EDIT: same as usual lol..i needed to reboot an change before boot..

EDIT: nice thanks a bunch. never have used a vm before. this makes a few things easier...so far i was able to format my hdd to ext4 and make a folder. now i just need to copy my files.

EDIT: how do i make it show a little higher resolution?