DietPi bricked after backup restore

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
SharedKestrel

Re: DietPi bricked after backup restore

Post by SharedKestrel »

Joulinar wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:39 pm what do you mean by system corruption. What exactly is/was broken? Did you download a new image or did you used an older one? Because our new images are based on new Debian Bullseye. And if you did not upgrade, your backup require Buster still.
Aren't the backups full system backups, and as such supposed to downgrade your system? I remember reading as much on a related topic on this forum.
As for what was broken, I don't know, because it wouldn't even boot.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Yes it is a full system backup, but at least the bootloader outside of the filesystem is excluded. However, since RPi uses an actual bootloader within the FAT filesystem, indeed you should be able to downgrade the system successfully with a restore. Although we just recently observed (and luckily found a solution) for a strange issue where a system library used by curl somehow preserved Bullseye ELF headers after the restore: viewtopic.php?p=37928#p37928
How this is possible needs to be investigated, as dietpi-backup simply does a full rsync, so replaces/syncs every single file and directory.

Do you have a screen or serial cable to check boot messages, when it is failing?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

well there are some boundaries. I did some test in the past to check what is possible with the restore function. 8)

For sure what not gonna work is to restore a 32bit system on a 64bit image. This always ands up in some kernel panic, at least for me.

Personally I would recommend to use the same image where the backup was build on. This should give less challenges.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Ah yeah that is true and makes. Restoring a 64-bit image onto a 32-bit image (with hence 32-bit kernel loaded) will definitely fail, in other cases also some userland parts may expect a different kernel, or the bootloader may not work with the restored kernel so that boot fails.