[rpi 4 8gb] Can't start Kodi

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: [rpi 4 8gb] Can't start Kodi

Post by MichaIng »

It needs to be the correct diver for the RPi GPU. I wonder whether there was another breaking change in libraspberrypi0 or the DRM library on Bullseye RPi so that we need to rebuild Kodi (again). I'll check the packages.

Could you try it with that workaround?

Code: Select all

ln -s vc4_drv.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/vc4_drv_video.so
ppa

Post by ppa »

That didn't work.

root@DietPi:~# ln -s vc4_drv.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/vc4_drv_video.so
root@DietPi:~# startkodi
libva info: Open new log file 1.173939.thd-0x00000b88 for the thread 0x00000b88
libva info: LIBVA_TRACE is on, save log into 1.173939.thd-0x00000b88
libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
libva info: User environment variable requested driver 'vc4'
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/vc4_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
I saw that apt showed some upgrades. I tested this workaround before and after installing them without success.
quiss

Post by quiss »

Same problem with Rpi4 2gb:

libva info: VA-API version 1.10.0
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)

root@DietPi:~# cat /boot/dietpi/.version
G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=7
G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=6
G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=2
G_GITBRANCH='master'
G_GITOWNER='MichaIng'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[0]='not applicable'
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[1]='applied'
root@DietPi:~# echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
bullseye 0
root@DietPi:~# uname -a
Linux DietPi 5.10.60-v7l+ #1449 SMP Wed Aug 25 15:00:44 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@DietPi:~# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"
Live patch 1 is about LetsEncrypt, so I haven't applied.
ppa

Post by ppa »

I just saw that the latest livepatch had something to do with kodi. I don't think that it was related to this post's issue but I wanted to say that the same message error appears when starting kodi after the patch.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yes correct, the Live Patch is to address a different issue
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
ppa

Post by ppa »

Any news on this issue?

I keep getting the same error even after a fresh install (ARMv7 32-bit image).
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

It starts fine here on RPi Zero, despite the fact that I'm seeing the same error. I'm currently testing driver/display settings to see whether I'm able to get at least 720p playing nicely, currently it is not playing well.

No joy on RPi Zero, at least not with 720p :(. However, maybe this is totally expected, not sure how well this KMS driver works with the RPi 1/Zero SoC, but this Kodi build cannot run with legacy (framebuffer) driver. I'll test on RPi 2 :).

However, it runs, the GUI works pretty well, so I guess we forgot to ask whether, aside of the error message, there are actually any issues with using Kodi?
ppa

Post by ppa »

I made it work on a fresh 64-bit dietpi (arm v8 if I remember correctly). There, everything works as you describe it. The error message appears but everything else works as expected.

However, with any of the 32-bit versions kodi doesn't work after the message appears. I have observed two different behaviours:

- if I'm connected to the pi via a usb keyboard and HDMI display, the terminal freezes. Then, when I move around with the keyboard arrows I hear kodi's main menu sounds. It seems like it is actually running but being displayed somewhere else.

- when I'm connected via ssh, after the message I can just Ctrl-C to stop the process.

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, I'm writing this while commuting. I can run some tests and show you the error messages in the evening when I get back home.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

On 64-bit the Debian Kodi package is used, which only starts from within a desktop session or via xinit, right?

Our 32-bit builds use DRM/KMS/GBM to display independently for an X session. As you are on RPi 4, may the reason be that it is shown on the second HDMI port? I.e. does it work when you attach a second screen to the second HDMI port, respectively switch the screen? As obviously you see the console on the currently used HDMI port, probably there is a way to force Kodi to use the same screen, while for some reason by default it uses the other one.
ppa

Post by ppa »

You are right, on 64-bit it initializes via xinit.

I don't have a second HDMI cable at home so I don't know if it works while using two screens. Changing the HDMI port shows the same behaviour I described earlier today: error message, console freezes and I can hear the main menu sounds when I move around with the arrow keys.