Is Dietpi for developers

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Mpoint

Re: Is Dietpi for developers

Post by Mpoint »

I have issues with corrupts files now so I am unable to check /usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/7.3.1/include/stdint.h line 9 column 16?
Apparently this is a known problem viewtopic.php?t=5975

Re-installation of gcc is not an option so I will have to run dietpi-device_manager and run a root file system check
Mpoint

Post by Mpoint »

The root fs is OK there is no problem. Let me know if you able to figure out how to put together a Dietpi package for developers Once can use Dietpi-software to install the dev package and that should solve the problem. I removed the SD card from my pine64 and using another distro as there are too many issues that I am unable to figure out right now. Here is the output that calls for rebuilding the new image and I have done that once and try to run sudo apt-get update many times along here is the output if it helps https://pastebin.pl/view/1a8edb56
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

I don't know what you mean by "dev package". There is no dev package. You can install "Build-Essential" via dietpi-software or apt install build-essential, which includes C and C++ compiler, make and standard C development headers, but it is pretty normal that for compiling software you need to manually install additional libraries/development headers. There are hundreds or thousands of libraries and development headers for C and various other languages and every software/source links different ones. No OS has "a package for developers", either the developers of the code you want to compile tell you which libraries/headers it requires, or you need to figure it out by reading the usually quite clear (with some experience) error messages that tell you what is missing.

File corruption is a known issue on each and every OS and storage hardware, with various triggers. Some filesystems are more prone to it when facing power loss or voltage fluctuations, others less. DietPi images come with the standard ext4 root filesystem, standard at Debian, Raspbian and all their variations at least, which uses journaling and checksuming in attempt to keep the risk minimal, but there is no 100% guarantee. Hence it is always advised to have backups or important data and the OS as a whole, on every OS and every filesystem type.

To fix the error you face:

Code: Select all

/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_software apt-cache clean
apt update
Mpoint

Post by Mpoint »

OK I posted this problem on wasp-os bug issue https://github.com/daniel-thompson/wasp-os/issues/252 and it seems to me that problem with with gcc++ library installation wrong source file can cause issues SO i did search the forum viewtopic.php?t=9002 and it does have somewhat different instruction to intall the gcc complier. Now if I do apt install build-essentials will it install the gcc along with gdb and required library files from the right source ? How do I make sure it does use the right source libraries/scripts ?
OR should i be using sometihing from diepi-software menu ? Most of the script work well when installed with Diepi-sofware menu rather than with apt install from the terminal
Mpoint

Post by Mpoint »

:) https://ibb.co/4pCphtN Thank for updated the dietpi-software now I should be able to install gcc complier and node and javascript for IOT development
Just to let you know it does not install gdb but It is not need in this setup
Last edited by Mpoint on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Not sure what you mean but we didn't release any update and we did not add any software title in this category.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Yes all those software options were available before ;). And to install gdb:

apt install gdb
Mpoint

Post by Mpoint »

:P Sorry Guys May because I tried to install gcc using sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi it did install but did not work property but when I install it using dietpi-software ( I did not see this option before for some reason :( :( ) Now that I install the right way it works the following command did work on my raspbian os now that I have installed gcc it using dietpi-software menu I get

root@DietPi:~# arm-none-eabi-gcc --version
-bash: arm-none-eabi-gcc: command not found
root@DietPi:~# sudo arm-none-eabi-gcc --version
sudo: arm-none-eabi-gcc: command not found
However once when correct gcc complier is installed on dietpi-software to check if the correct version is installed

root@DietPi:~# gcc --version
gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
What I should have done is installed it using the command sudo apt install gcc :P
I am new to dietpi sorry guys !
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

apt install gcc as well as apt install build-essentials will of course always pull the right packages for the used system architecture and dietpi-software does exactly this. This is the same on all Debian-based distros and I believe on most others as well. Compiler packages with an architecture suffix are for cross-compiling.