Errr... can incorrect PiVPN setup block network access to DietPi? Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
hoverdonkey

Errr... can incorrect PiVPN setup block network access to DietPi?

Post by hoverdonkey »

I have been running DietPi on an RPi 3 off a USB SSD drive, it had all been fine for months and months. But I can no longer ping it, nor access any apps on DietPi through browser, neither can I access via SSH. The last thing I played with was attempting to connect to Nord via the VPN setup in dietpi-launcher. I thought I had it working but I went on holiday now can't remember for sure...

I don't think it is a hardware issue as I just tested a fresh DietPi image on an SD card and SSH access was fine. Also, I can read the USB SSD if I stick it in my Windows laptop.

I would be very grateful for suggestions for a way forward!
Joulinar

Re: Errr... can incorrect PiVPN setup block network access to DietPi?

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

what is the version of DietPi you are running? And do you recall of you activated killswitch? There was a challenge before DietPi v7.3 to have SSH blocked while having killswitch activated.

viewtopic.php?t=9082
https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/comm ... ee92988080
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
hoverdonkey

Post by hoverdonkey »

Hi, thanks for replying.

I did enable killswitch. I can't say which version I am on, but I did do a system update probably 2-3 weeks ago.

Is there another way in to clear VPN setup, say by attaching the system drive to my Windows laptop?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

onn Windows you are not able to access RootFS as it's a Linux file system format ext4. This would require a virtual machine or similar running a Linux OS.

Better option might be connecting a monitor and keyboard to your RPi3 to get local access.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
hoverdonkey

Post by hoverdonkey »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:30 am Better option might be connecting a monitor and keyboard to your RPi3 to get local access.
Ah, thanks, I thought I needed to install something for that to work. I will give it a go, probably later in the week as I actually have to go into the office tomorrow! Boo!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

connecting screen and keyboard should work ootb :)
hoverdonkey

Post by hoverdonkey »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:01 am connecting screen and keyboard should work ootb :)
Phew, HDMI & keyboard worked!

I played around with VPN setup, but still could not SSH in when connected. So I updated to 7.5.2 (I was on 7.4.2) and tried again and I can now SSH with VPN connected.

Many thanks!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

hm strange, usually this should have been working on 7.4 as the fix was applied on 7.3 already. But Ok, now it's working fine :)
hoverdonkey

Post by hoverdonkey »

Okay, VPN is connected and SSH working with killswitch enabled, so that problem solved. However...

Logitech Media Server is only working with killswitch disabled. It works with VPN connected and killwitch disabled. Seems a bit strange. Is this correct?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yep that's working as designed if I'm not mistaken.

@MichaIng
Should we allow more access on local network if VPN/Killswitch is enabled? Or at least create a docs entry how to add more services to the whitelist for local access?