MotionEye on RasPi1 with BullsEye missing

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
omavoss

Re: MotionEye on RasPi1 with BullsEye missing

Post by omavoss »

Thanks @all,
I was not aware until now that I would meet with such a large and optimistic response with this topic. :)

In the meantime I installed motioneye with buster under DietPi, that works right away. I think all of you out there will be able to do the same with bullseye.

Many greetings and thank you very much.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Hey guys, I made some testing of the Python 3 MotionEye branch: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/pull/4671
Indeed major features are broken, but they are actually quite easy to fix, step by step. Many PRs are open, but the MotionEye maintainer is not very active in testing and merging them. So anyone who is interested to get MotionEye with proper supported Python 3 running, please help testing, if able fixing things, sending PRs and push the developer to merge those.

If things are not going forward, the alternative would be to fork the project, test and merge all PRs from the original one, to have a Python 3 fork. I would hate going that way, as long as the owner has not officially abandoned it and having his agreement, but when things are not going forward, sometimes its the only way, and totally legit thanks to open source licenses.
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

This is a really good plan! :D
Only one small problem: I have absolutely no idea how to test. ;)
Can you please point me in the right direction?
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

The following will migrate your DietPi to the related branch to test it. I just updated it so that it is the current stable DietPi v7.5 with only the MotionEye install code changed.

Code: Select all

G_DEV_BRANCH motioneye
dietpi-software install 136
To migrate back to the stable branch:

Code: Select all

G_CONFIG_INJECT 'DEV_GITBRANCH=' 'DEV_GITBRANCH=master' /boot/dietpi.txt
This will not migrate directly, but instead the update checker will again watch the stable branch and offer an update once it appeared there.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

nevertheless guys, feel free to open request on MotionEye GitHub asking the deleoper to continue working on Python3 implementation. ;)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

@MichaIng Perfect thank you, i will update now, test and give feedback.

@Joulinar Maybe first testing and then poke the developer? But yes, i am sure with the release of bullseye there are a lot of people out there who like to see motioneye with phyton3. ;) It is a very cool piece of software.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

well our Python3 implementation will not work at the end I guess. Because we use original MotionEye Python3 branch. There is nothing adjusted on MotionEye software from our side. We just enable the installation.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

Webinterface is up and running but does not work. :roll:
I attached the log file.
Attachments
log.txt
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 8 times