Laggy CLI since updating to 7.4.2 Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Reds

Laggy CLI since updating to 7.4.2

Post by Reds »

Hi all,

I've got 3 systems running v7.4.2 of Dietpi (1x x86, 2x Pi4) and since updating to 7.4.2 I'm now getting really laggy CLI over SSH from a variety of different clients. OpenSSH is running on all 3. Both exhibit the same lagginess. A reboot resolves the problem for about a day but then it slowly returns over a 24hr period until the system becomes so laggy its unusable. Local CLI is fine, its only over SSH.

All devices are ethernet attached with a single connection. WiFi disabled.

I'm stuck - any ideas where to go next with this?
Joulinar

Re: Laggy CLI since updating to 7.4.2

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

how does it behave restarting SSH server only

Code: Select all

systemctl restart sshd.service
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Reds

Post by Reds »

Hi Joulinar,

Behaves the same after restarting sshd
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

means still laggy SSH session after restarting SSH server?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Reds

Post by Reds »

Yes, CLI remains laggy after restarting sshd
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

any high cpu usage shown on htop while using SSH?
Reds

Post by Reds »

No, nothing jumps out usage wise in HTOP

I've switched sshd to Dropbear and the session is still laggy and unresponsive for many seconds sometimes. Reboot is the only thing that resolves it.....for a few hours.

Edit: I've just used dietpi-services to bounce all the services and this seems to have a positive effect as it restores the responsiveness of an SSH session.....but then the laggy SSH problem slowly returns. :(
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

How does memory usage is? Does you have enough physical memory free or is your system using swap? Can be seen in htoo as well.
Reds

Post by Reds »

8GB RAM total, only 2 GB used.

I did some DuckDuckFu and I found a post saying that adding 'UseDNS no' to /etc/ssh/sshd_config helps. I tried it and was about to post that that fixed it. Alas it hasn't but it has improved the lag a bit.

If I tell Dietpi-services to stop everything, the lag problem is resolved. I'm going to systematically start each service one by one to see if I can narrow things down.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

That would be my idea as well to stop/start services one by one to see which one is probably creating the noise