Unable to connect to Samba Share

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Joulinar

Re: Unable to connect to Samba Share

Post by Joulinar »

I guess this is not related to DietPi. We simply install the SMB client package from Debian repository. Most probably same will happen on normal Raspberry OS.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

When you add an SMB/CIFS share via dietpi-drive_manager, it loops through all existing SMB protocol versions from the highest 3.1.1 to the lowest 1.0 and tries to connect with all of them, before adding the first functional one to /etc/fstab.

If you use the mount source //192.168.5.1/dietpi, this means there needs to exist an SMB share called "dietpi" on the server. Given it is a DrayTek server and no DietPi system, is this the case?

The version is set via the vers=n.m mount option, which you used already. Check out the man pages as well about other mount options and possible hints: https://manpages.debian.org/mount.cifs
Humph

Post by Humph »

Yes I can successfully connect to the Share \\192.168.5.1\DietPI from a Windows Client, so the Share must exist?

Wondered if anyone else has had similar issues when attempting the same from other Router based OS's such as DrayTek OS?
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

I'm not sure whether the Windows client has some automatic share detection, if the given one does not exist. When you enable the Samba share in DrayTek, there must be a setting to see and choose its name. I.e. if you did not manually enter "dietpi" somewhere, it won't be an existing share and at least the Linux client cannot connect then.