Which version of DietPi for cloud computing (AWS, DigitalOcean, etc.)?

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
robbiehunt

Which version of DietPi for cloud computing (AWS, DigitalOcean, etc.)?

Post by robbiehunt »

Hi, I run DietPi on all my RaspPi's and am in love with it, so much so that I'd love to run it on my servers. Which version do I use? Given that there's a version of DietPi for VirtualBox, VMWare, Hyper-V, UEFI and BIOS. My cloud server provider is Digital Ocean, running vCPUs.
Joulinar

Re: Which version of DietPi for cloud computing (AWS, DigitalOcean, etc.)?

Post by Joulinar »

Are you able to use own images on your VPS? Or do they provide a fixed image? You could try to use our PREP script to convert a Debian image into DietPi https://dietpi.com/docs/hardware/#make- ... stribution

There is a longer discussion on our GitHub where we was able to get DietPi running on a VPS cloud server https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issu ... -629769421
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
robbiehunt

Post by robbiehunt »

Yes I can use my own custom images, as well as being able to directly load Debian onto a server. Would it be best to use a custom image in order to use Debian-slim and stick DietPi on top, or go with the Debian option they provide and stick DietPi on top?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

probably you could ask your provider what typ of image you could use.

Another option is to use the default Debian image of your provider and try to convert using PREP script.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
robbiehunt

Post by robbiehunt »

I will do. Thank you for your time, I'll reply with their information for anyone wondering in future.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Or simply try it out, as long as there is no limitation for rebuilding the VPS: If our x86_64 BIOS (I don't think they require UEFI) image boots, then it's fine, if not, then go with their Debian => PREP approach. But before running PREP, assure that the basic stack is the same: grub as bootloader, initramfs-tools, unmodified Debian kernel package (linux-image-amd64).
Reds

Post by Reds »

Joulinar wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:17 pm
Another option is to use the default Debian image of your provider and try to convert using PREP script.
This is exactly what I do for my VPS.....actually for my x86 boxes at home too. Works really well