auto update setting Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
manilx

auto update setting

Post by manilx »

Hi

I have one Pie with PiVPN installed and it is installing all the Linux updates automatically.
Another one just displays the new updates in the banner and I have to run the update command manually.

Where is the setting to auto-update? Can't find or remember where. I think when I installed PiVPN there was a question to enable auto-update.

Thx in advance
ravenclaw900

Re: auto update setting

Post by ravenclaw900 »

The setting is in dietpi.txt. To enable it, run:

Code: Select all

G_CONFIG_INJECT 'CONFIG_CHECK_APT_UPDATES=' 'CONFIG_CHECK_APT_UPDATES=2' /boot/dietpi.txt
manilx

Post by manilx »

Great, thx. And to disable it?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Just to avoid a misunderstanding. PiVPN will install software package unattended-upgrades in addition! This is a behaviour of PiVPN and has no relation to DietPi functions https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades

On DietPi we use our own script to check for updates. It's more lightweight as no additional software component will be needed. This as well explains why it is active on one system but not on the other.
And to disable it?
Simply uninstall unattended-upgrades if it is the software package installed by PiVPN
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

Joulinar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:21 pm Just to avoid a misunderstanding. PiVPN will install software package unattended-upgrades in addition? This is a behaviour of PiVPN and has no relation to DietPi functions https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades

On DietPi we use our own script to check for updates. It's more lightweight as no additional software component will be needed. This as well explains why it is active on one system but not on the other.
And to disable it?
Simply uninstall unattended-upgrades if it is the software package installed by PiVPN
OK. This is it then!
ravenclaw900

Post by ravenclaw900 »

@Joulinar, we disable the installation of unattended-upgrades on PiVPN, and also ask if the DietPi automatic upgrades should be enabled.
manilx

Post by manilx »

ravenclaw900 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:39 pm @Joulinar, we disable the installation of unattended-upgrades on PiVPN, and also ask if the DietPi automatic upgrades should be enabled.
I did the install via the original PiVPN script...

Should I leave this or change it? If positive pls give me the steps.
ravenclaw900

Post by ravenclaw900 »

Remove unattended-upgrades with:

Code: Select all

apt purge unattended-upgrades
and enable the DietPI automatic upgrades with the command I mentioned earlier.
manilx

Post by manilx »

Did get this:

Package 'unattended-upgrades' is not installed, so not removed
manilx

Post by manilx »

P.S: I just realized that I DID install PiVPN via dietpi-software....... sorry

So the auto-update command is already in dietpi.txt ??

EDIT:

Just checked:

CONFIG_CHECK_APT_UPDATES=2 is NOT in dietpi.txt