Pi Zero W Project: Travel Storage Device Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
dwr

Re: Pi Zero W Project: Travel Storage Device

Post by dwr »

WarHawk wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:09 am HORY CRAP!
hory.crap.jpg
Got it working...only by installing LXDE (a desktop) using the DietPi scripting and TigerVNC
and viola...however can't connect TO it from my windows machine...
lanXchange.LXDE.RPI0W.jpg
I am no expert, but since your saying that simply installing a desktop solved this one issue, it seems like that script is similar to how HotKey Automation functions where (for some reason) it requires a DE for it to work (HotKey Automation does nothing on the DE expect automatically open terminal to start the script).

As an update to PirateBox - it truly seems that it is so outdated that a few features/functions will not work with newer hardware (specifically, the Pi Zero W, circa 2017) nor will it allow me to connect to it via SMB (on a Windows 10 PC). I also do NOT like how it puts out an unsecured Wi-Fi signal (and, based on my limited knowledge, won't let me change this - even after searching around the file system via terminal to find the hostapd info, I was not able to find the file containing the broadcast signal info).
dwr

Post by dwr »

PirateBox Update:
After further review of their website, I found information that will allow me to change the SSID as well as secure it. It also provides for many other option/feature changes that will be beneficial to this project. For now, I can call PirateBox a success, however I am still exploring other potential options.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DietPi OS + Hotspot Update:
Last night I decided to install a fresh copy of DietPi OS 32-bit on a separate SD Card and give the Hotspot function another shot. Using an Ethernet HAT (the same one in the picture in the original post) connected to a network switch, I setup DietPi along with the Hotspot and Samba Software via dietpi-software. After a reboot, I backed up the Pi Zero W using dietpi-backup just incase something goes wrong. Once the backup completed, I shutdown the Pi via shutdown -h now, unplugged the ethernet cable, and re-powered the Pi...

Results:
The results were successful! i.e.; even without being connected via ethernet, the Hotspot software still broadcasted a Wi-Fi signal from the Pi's On-Board Wi-Fi module. I was able to connect to it, AND I was able to use SSH and Samba without any issues. Just to ensure that this wasn't a fluke, I rebooted the Pi once more and was still able to connect, SSH in, and access the USB Flash Drive via Samba.

Notes:
I have a feeling that if I were to go into dietpi-config and change something, the Hotspot software would no longer work (although I have not tested this since I have the Pi setup the way I want).

Continued Testing:
About 20 mins ago, I hooked the ethernet cable back into the Pi and installed FuguHub since it's WebDAV function plays well with the FE File Explorer iOS App. After the installation and setup of FuguHub, I rebooted just to make sure that the Hotspot software continued to broadcast a signal - it did! I will be testing to see if I can successfully upload and download files from my iPhone to the Pi's attached USB Flash Drive later on tonight. I'll report back then...
dwr

Post by dwr »

DietPi OS + Hotspot Update:
As promised, I went down to my car, setup the Pi with power, connected to the [DietPi's] Wi-Fi Signal, and used Samba and FuguHub's WebDAV server to upload and download files, pictures, and videos back and forth from my iPhone. I can now say that this project (using DietPi OS) has been a success and is my preferred method of offloading photos and videos from my iPhone. 8) And truthfully, I might even uninstall FuguHub and attempt to use the dietpi-sync function (along with iOS's Siri Shortcuts to delete the videos and photos after syncing) to sync everything once it connects to the Wi-Fi SSID signal.
dwr

Post by dwr »

Another quick update for those who are looking to accomplish the same type of project (i.e.; using a GoPro or DJI product and want to offload photos and videos on-the-go), I discovered this GitHub repository from a guy that hacks GoPro's and DJI Drones (and other DJI products).

He has provided an outline on how to control, see stats, and download media from both products mentioned above with HTTP Get commands via Windows and Linux. After testing his scripts, I've decided that this is the best option for me, although most options mentioned in this thread will work (and I will most likely mess around with them once I am back from my next road trip).

Happy hunting!
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

dwr wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:01 am DietPi OS + Hotspot Update:
As promised, I went down to my car, setup the Pi with power, connected to the [DietPi's] Wi-Fi Signal, and used Samba and FuguHub's WebDAV server to upload and download files, pictures, and videos back and forth from my iPhone. I can now say that this project (using DietPi OS) has been a success and is my preferred method of offloading photos and videos from my iPhone. 8) And truthfully, I might even uninstall FuguHub and attempt to use the dietpi-sync function (along with iOS's Siri Shortcuts to delete the videos and photos after syncing) to sync everything once it connects to the Wi-Fi SSID signal.
Yeah...once you setup the FuguHub and then use the link ip.address.of.pi0/fs it goes right to the filesystem and just being able to upload directly to the website is very nice
Simple to install
https://fuguhub.com/RaspberryPi.lsp

Code: Select all

pushd /tmp/;rm -f install.sh;wget FuguHub.com/releases/raspberrypi/install.sh;chmod +x install.sh;sudo ./install.sh;popd
It works...
dwr

Post by dwr »

WarHawk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:13 am Yeah...once you setup the FuguHub and then use the link ip.address.of.pi0/fs it goes right to the filesystem and just being able to upload directly to the website is very nice
Simple to install
https://fuguhub.com/RaspberryPi.lsp

pushd /tmp/;rm -f install.sh;wget FuguHub.com/releases/raspberrypi/install.sh;chmod +x install.sh;sudo ./install.sh;popd
It works...
Indeed, however I installed FuguHub from the DietPi-Software Library. It seemed to be the only File/Media Server that was light enough to run on the Pi Zero without a ton of latency due to high CPU usage.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Looks like we need to add filebrowser: https://github.com/filebrowser/filebrowser
Or did you try Syncthing?
dwr

Post by dwr »

MichaIng wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:50 pm Looks like we need to add filebrowser: https://github.com/filebrowser/filebrowser
Whoa! Filebrowser... never even thought to search for something like that. After a cursory overview of the software, it seems very simply and every easy to implement. I am going to load up a fresh SD Card and see how this thing interacts with DietPi.

MichaIng wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:50 pm Or did you try Syncthing?
Syncthing was one of my initial ideas for keeping everything sync'd up between the Raspberry Pi Zero and my iPhone due it's lightweight nature and ability to create automated scripts where once my iPhone connected to it's Wi-Fi, it would begin the sync, however there is no iOS App for Syncthing. Theoretically I could
dwr

Post by dwr »

As another option for networking, I stumbled across this little script while cleaning up some of my Chrome bookmarks. Apparently I found this months ago, bookmarked it for later review, but forgot about it.

The W-Fi script that its using (http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-drivers/install-wifi) actually looks pretty promising as it automatically finds the correct driver needed for the USB Dongle.
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

dwr wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:36 pm Image
MichaIng wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:50 pm Looks like we need to add filebrowser: https://github.com/filebrowser/filebrowser
Whoa! Filebrowser... never even thought to search for something like that. After a cursory overview of the software, it seems very simply and every easy to implement. I am going to load up a fresh SD Card and see how this thing interacts with DietPi.

MichaIng wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:50 pm Or did you try Syncthing?
Syncthing was one of my initial ideas for keeping everything sync'd up between the Raspberry Pi Zero and my iPhone due it's lightweight nature and ability to create automated scripts where once my iPhone connected to it's Wi-Fi, it would begin the sync, however there is no iOS App for Syncthing. Theoretically I could
filebrowser works well...did the unix installation

curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/filebrowser/get/master/get.sh | bash
Then did the init for the database

filebrowser config init
and changed address from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0

filebrowser config set -a 0.0.0.0
, then exported it into the home user directory in .yaml format

filebrowser config export -c /home/user/filebrowser.yaml
Started it up

filebrowser -c /path/to/config.yaml
And boom!!!!
It even generated thumbnails of files I had uploaded into a "test" directory...not ULTRA fast mind you..but it works flawlessly!

Awesome!!!!

Oh man...it even allows for dragging an entire folder to the browser screen and uploading it!!!!
Mind you I am using a PC not a phone...