Pi Zero W Project: Travel Storage Device Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
WarHawk

Re: Pi Zero W Project: Travel Storage Device

Post by WarHawk »

Another solution could be a static/stand alone web generated file service

I did some digging...I used HFS ~ Http File Server alot on some of my windows machines, just log into the webpage...then upload files directly to the windows machine

Linux equivalent after some poking around
PHFS ~ Python Http File Server
and
LanXchange
and
Weborf

Perhaps if/when some sort of WIFI AP SSID can be generated...remote device connects to that...then logs into a webpage (universally accepted on almost ALL types of devices) and upload that way
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

Also found this...if interested
PIRATEBOX Raspbian and Armbian based manual instructions

Maybe the management of wifi card in NetworkManager is the culprit
Disable management of wifi card in NetworkManager
The NetworkManager is a comfort feature, which tend to disturb a smoothness running PirateBox. You can disable the management of wlan0 of the NetworkManagement daemon, run:

Code: Select all

if ! grep -q wlan0 /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf ; then
    sudo sed -i -e 's|unmanaged-devices=interface-name|unmanaged-devices=;interface-name|' \
                /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    sudo sed -i -e 's|unmanaged-devices=|unmanaged-devices=interface-name:wlan0|' \
 fi
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

This looks rather nice as well...simple one line setup for nexcloud in a docker instance...also you can build it yourself

if the wifi thing ever get's fixed..this might be a good addon
https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

Woooo!!! Got hostapd to activate on my RPi0W, compiled in dietpi...it took ALOT of installing missing packages...but got it
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... on/hostapd

root@DietPi:/usr/local/bin# ./hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd-minimal.conf
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->ENABLED
wlan0: AP-ENABLED
however I lost connectivity...testing further...I have a .deb created with checkinstall
https://mega.nz/file/uU0gCKAB#S1WGn84jF ... GcQWS1-JZk
dwr

Post by dwr »

WarHawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:05 am Stumbled across this...this might help
https://osxdaily.com/2019/11/04/how-con ... files-app/
Yessir - this is actually how I have it setup at present. I explored FE File Explorer as well and found it to be more robust so I switched to using that - loving it so far.

WarHawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:28 am Another solution could be a static/stand alone web generated file service

I did some digging...I used HFS ~ Http File Server alot on some of my windows machines, just log into the webpage...then upload files directly to the windows machine

Linux equivalent after some poking around
PHFS ~ Python Http File Server
and
LanXchange
and
Weborf

Perhaps if/when some sort of WIFI AP SSID can be generated...remote device connects to that...then logs into a webpage (universally accepted on almost ALL types of devices) and upload that way
Thanks for the additional options! I actually found a few of these types of solutions already (see below) but none of the ones that you posted.

ArozOS is a great little virtual desktop OS, utilizing a USB (OTG) add-on board (which I have a few of) but unfortunately it isn't a solution since it's so robust.

SUBZero is exactly what you are referring to, but it's too basic in the sense that it doesn't allow me to upload to a folder (within the connected USB Flash Drive) of my choosing - given my web design background, it probably wouldn't be difficult to modify some of the coding to select my own folder (I might give this another shot, actually).

I'll check those out later this evening!

WarHawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:12 am Also found this...if interested
PIRATEBOX Raspbian and Armbian based manual instructions

Maybe the management of wifi card in NetworkManager is the culprit
Disable management of wifi card in NetworkManager
The NetworkManager is a comfort feature, which tend to disturb a smoothness running PirateBox. You can disable the management of wlan0 of the NetworkManagement daemon, run:

if ! grep -q wlan0 /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf ; then
 sudo sed -i -e 's|unmanaged-devices=interface-name|unmanaged-devices=;interface-name|' \
 sudo sed -i -e 's|unmanaged-devices=|unmanaged-devices=interface-name:wlan0|' \
 fi
I briefly looked into PIRATEBOX during my intial search for a solution, however based on how old it is (and lack of updates), I decided to veer away from it. But hey, it's worth a shot! I'll give it another 'once-over' later tonight.

WarHawk wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:47 am This looks rather nice as well...simple one line setup for nexcloud in a docker instance...also you can build it yourself

if the wifi thing ever get's fixed..this might be a good addon
https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi
Believe it or not, this is exactly what I used during my 2nd or 3rd attempt at setting something like this up - I used a fresh install of RPi OS Lite, then installed RaspAP, and finally NextCloudPi. It ran pretty well until I had the issues with RaspAP - I steered away from it since NextCloud isn't the lightest on system resources, but it still could be a possible solution since I wouldn't be in any rush to offload the files once done with my 'adventures'.

WarHawk wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:35 am Woooo!!! Got hostapd to activate on my RPi0W, compiled in dietpi...it took ALOT of installing missing packages...but got it
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... on/hostapd

root@DietPi:/usr/local/bin# ./hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd-minimal.conf
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->ENABLED
wlan0: AP-ENABLED
however I lost connectivity...testing further...I have a .deb created with checkinstall
https://mega.nz/file/uU0gCKAB#S1WGn84jF ... GcQWS1-JZk
This is GREAT NEWS! Hopefully your testing will provide successful results since RaspAP seems to go "commando" on other software/scripts that I add to the Pi Zero (changing and reconfiguring things after reboots).

Please keep me updated!
dwr

Post by dwr »

So I looked over the options you provided, and came up with more questions/concerns, haha! :lol:

PHFS ~ Python Http File Server - looks too complicated for my current knowledge.
LanXchange - looks promising and I will give this a shot soon.
Weborf - correct me if I am wrong here, but this doesn't look like it supports ARM devices...?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

you could try to compile server as well as frontend package yourself https://github.com/ltworf/weborf#compile
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

Joulinar wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:16 pm you could try to compile server as well as frontend package yourself https://github.com/ltworf/weborf#compile
In order to do the

autoreconf -f -i
I had to

sudo apt install autoconf automake autotools-dev -y
got it compiled...it only allows reading of the files...not uploading
webdorf.jpg
LanXchange will not work without a desktop
I downloaded oracle jdk 8 w/ the floating point operation for RPi0 processor architecture and installed

root@DietPi:~# java -version
java version "1.8.0_301"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_301-b09)
Getting a failure when I try to run it

root@DietPi:/home/warhawk# ./lxc
root@DietPi:/home/warhawk# Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:204)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:536)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)
        at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:189)
        at de.tobifleig.lxc.plaf.swing.SwingGui.<init>(SwingGui.java:93)
        at de.tobifleig.lxc.plaf.swing.GenericPCPlatform.<init>(GenericPCPlatform.java:54)
        at de.tobifleig.lxc.plaf.swing.Main.main(Main.java:44)
Fooey
dwr

Post by dwr »

First, I have to say thank you for your continued effort with this project. I cannot say for sure, but it seems like there is a... desire for something like this out of the box, and while some of these solutions can satisfy that desire/need/want/whatever, most are out of date or no longer maintained (as you are probably finding out). So, thank you from me and all those that are currently looking, or will be looking for a solution for a project like this in the future.

Ok, so getting back on track... I setup PirateBox (since most of the other options that either you all or I discovered are no longer viable or are beyond my expertise) and found that the instructions that present themselves on the terminal screen after install are not the same as the instructions on the PirateBox website, HOWEVER, things seem to be working at this point. After I make some dinner, grab a quick shower, and prep for work tomorrow, I plan to dive into PirateBox a bit more.

I'll report back once I have fully tested it's capabilities...
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

HORY CRAP!
hory.crap.jpg
hory.crap.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Got it working...only by installing LXDE (a desktop) using the DietPi scripting and TigerVNC
and viola...however can't connect TO it from my windows machine...
lanXchange.LXDE.RPI0W.jpg