Pi Zero W Project: Travel Storage Device Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
dwr

Re: Pi Zero W Project: Travel Storage Device

Post by dwr »

I couldn't sleep last night so I attempted an install of RaspAP on top of DietPi (following the instructions above relating to not interfering with DietPi's networking interfaces).

Findings:
RaspAP seemed to take over a lot of aspects once installed. I did receive a few failures during the install but nothing that looked like it was going to affect the general usage (I did not keep any of the install logs). I used the DietPi Automated Install to setup Wi-Fi from the start, but as I mentioned, RaspAP took over once installed. As we know, the hardware limitations on the Pi Zero W won't allow simultaneous Tx and Rx, but the trick was to NOT reboot until you configure RaspAP's Hotspot. Once rebooted, RaspAP apparently prioritizes the Hotspot over the general network connection, meaning that the Wi-Fi Client side of things was turned off but the Hotspot remained online. For my purposes, this was a successful test.

I ran into issues when I installed an Ethernet/USB Expansion HAT and plugged in a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB Dongle. RaspAP did not recognize it at first, so after two reboots, it finally recongized it and allowed me to select it through the Hotspot dropdown menu - I am emphasizing the word 'select' here because once I rebooted, the Hotspot went down and I was unable to access it through a LAN connection rending it useless.

I used the ethernet connection on the HAT to gain access once again (at this point, I removed the TP-Link Wi-Fi Dongle). After regaining access via ethernet, I returned all settings to default and made sure that TP-Link Wi-Fi Dongle drivers were properly installed and being used - they were. So I plugged the TP-Link Wi-Fi Dongle back into the Pi, rebooted, and removed the ethernet connection. RaspAP went back to using the Pi's On-Board Wi-Fi module as the Hotspot so I was able to reconnect to the Web GUI and attempt to use the TP-Link Dongle as the Wi-Fi Client. This is where it all went south...

RaspAP wasn't even allowing me to 'scan' for Wi-Fi networks but gave me the option to "re-initialize wpa_supplicant" - so I did. Once that happened, the Hotspot went down, the Wi-Fi Client failed to work at all, and the ethernet connection wouldn't even allow me to regain access to the Pi. So I said, screw it and went to bed.

Tonight I plan on grabbing another Pi Zero W to install Raspberry Pi OS and try this again - I will also give DietPi OS another shot using the original Pi Zero W with a fresh install but won't use the TP-Link Wi-Fi Dongle this time since my goal here is to have access via a Hotspot only which I was able to do last night. I will post my results later.

Edit: I just read in the RaspAP Docs that if I have the TP-Link Wi-Fi Dongle plugged in (but not used) during the install process, RaspAP will automatically detect it and use it as the Wi-Fi Client Rx (while using the Pi's On-Board Wi-Fi module as the Hotspot Tx), so I will attempt to incorporate this step into my testing tonight.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

I did a quick test and used the automatic install scrip on a RPi4B and it is working. OK not really something to compare with a Pi Zero W :roll:

Only thing needed was to remove dhcpcd5 and to adjust wlan0 interface to use 10.3.141.1 instead of default DietPi WiFi hotspot IP address.

Screenshot_20210804-014227.png
Screenshot_20210804-014227.png (29.84 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
dwr

Post by dwr »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:43 am Hi,

I did a quick test and used the automatic install scrip on a RPi4B and it is working. OK not really something to compare with a Pi Zero W :roll:

Only thing needed was to remove dhcpcd5 and to adjust wlan0 interface to use 10.3.141.1 instead of default DietPi WiFi hotspot IP address.
Makes sense. I was able to reproduce what I mentioned above, with success, but I decided to fallback on simply having it use the On-Board Wi-Fi module (Pi Zero W) to produce a Tx signal so I can connect my iPhone to it. My next step is to install NextCloud so I can offload everything - I wish iOS had an app for rSync or Syncthing since that would make my life much easier, but alas, I shall use what I can for now.
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

Well if you have to use rasbian...I recommend installing nextcloud and other apps as docker instances w/ it pointing to a persistent bound location for data storage and config, using portainer as a way to control the docker containers as well

Too bad there is so much going on in the DietPi scripting that it breaks the RaspAP setup :(
dwr

Post by dwr »

WarHawk wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 am Well if you have to use rasbian...I recommend installing nextcloud and other apps as docker instances w/ it pointing to a persistent bound location for data storage and config, using portainer as a way to control the docker containers as well

Too bad there is so much going on in the DietPi scripting that it breaks the RaspAP setup :(
I do not hold myself out to be any kind of expert since I am just under a year into using Raspberry Pi's, and about 3 years into general Linux OS's, but I have come very far in learning the intricacies of this world and am not afraid to admit that I have tried using Docker around 10 times over the last year and have still been completely unsuccessful in my attempts.

Now this isn't to say that I do not understand the different coding languages since I have a coding background (I used to be a web designer and can usually decipher what I am looking at regardless of the coding language), BUT I believe it is my own brain that cannot understand how it logically works - it simply puzzles me. I have used extra Pi's (RPi 4's and Pi Zero's) on multiple occasions just to try it out and experiment only to completely fail in my understanding of the general dynamics of its basic inter-workings. But I do not expect (or truthfully want) anyone to try to explain it to me now - I WILL one day get it, but I am just not in the mindset right now.

With that being said, I do appreciate the guidance on using Docker to run NextCloud on the Pi Zero since it makes sense to use containers that use minimal resources. It is simply an obstacle/project that I will one day overcome.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

@dwr
does iOS has an app that can synchronize folder using SAMBA?

On my Android devices I use FolderSync to backup all my pictures https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=de&gl=US

Maybe there are alternatives on iOS https://alternativeto.net/software/fold ... orm=iphone
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

@MichaIng
There is quite a good documentation of manual install steps https://docs.raspap.com/manual/

Probably something that could be adjusted to our needs? Should we have a closer look?
dwr

Post by dwr »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:31 am @dwr

On my Android devices I use FolderSync to backup all my pictures https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=de&gl=US

Maybe there are alternatives on iOS https://alternativeto.net/software/fold ... orm=iphone
Unfortunately no - not without Jailbreaking at least. Apple keeps their ecosystem pretty locked down and only within the last 5 years or so developed their "Files" App. Even SanDisk's iXpand Storage products for iOS require manual 'off-loading' of files, pictures and videos. 'Tis a shame, indeed.

Edit: I looked through some of those 'AlternativeTo' apps, downloaded Resilio, but it's not an automatic service unfortunately. This wouldn't be a problem for me except for the fact that I have an iPhone XR with a small storage capacity which, in my use-case, would require me to stop recording, download the photos and videos, delete them, and then continue. With the Samba server from a RPi Zero W or the GL.iNet Mango Router, I can have the GoPro or DJI App directly save to a network address of the Samba server thereby allowing me to continuously record or take pictures without having to offload when the iPhone's storage fills up.

If I were using an Android phone, I could simply attach an OTG Micro USB or USB-C flash drive to store the files on-demand. I know that the iPhone will allow me to use a 'Lightning to USB-A' connector to connect a USB Flash Drive, but the DJI and GoPro Apps won't allow continual saving to a flash drive... weird, right?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yeah Apple is doing all for his customer to be not user friendly :roll: ok different story
WarHawk

Post by WarHawk »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:31 am @dwr

Stumbled across this...this might help
https://osxdaily.com/2019/11/04/how-con ... files-app/