Question about backups and storage space

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Klola

Question about backups and storage space

Post by Klola »

Hello all,

I have a Rasp 1 with a 16GB SD card, DietPi v7.3.2 and PiHole.

1. 4.7GB of used space? Just by DietPi, PiHole and a backup?
2. before each update I create a backup on the SD card. Is this file always overwritten with a new version?
3. what is the easiest way to get the backup from the SD card? To an extra USB stick or via my network to my Windows PC? I am still a beginner with Linux commands and Putty.

Thank you very much!
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
space.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Joulinar

Re: Question about backups and storage space

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

let's check for larges files on your system. This way we will see where your space is gone

Code: Select all

du -a / | sort -n -r | head -n 20
Easiest way to store the backup on an USB stick would be to create the backup directly on it. Just connect the USB stick and have it mounted using dietpi-drive_manager. Once done use the new location of your USB stick as backup target in dietpi-backup.
There is no need to copy the existing backup. Just create a new one and delete the old backup.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Klola

Post by Klola »

Thanks @Joulinar

The first 4 paths were not found.

I will then simply store it on a USB stick.
Recommendation on the easiest way to delete the old backup? Change to /mnt/dietpi-backup and delete?

Greetings
Attachments
path.png
path.png (24.72 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

the first 4 lines are totally fine. Just ignore them.

to delete the old backup, just do

rm -Rf /mnt/dietpi-backup
Next to this you have around 700MB of PiHole database file. This is because PiHole stores 365 days of logs. We recently changed the default setting and logging duration for the database-wise DNS query log in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db is reduced from 365 days down to 2 days. But it is impoacting new installations only. Personally I don't see the need to keep a year of DNS query logs and adjusted my system as well. Now, the file is around 20MB :)

You can verify settings as follow

cat /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team