Kernel package Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
wmarchewka

Kernel package

Post by wmarchewka »

Hello,

I am using a rpi4 with buster. I am using a 4dsystems LCD screen:

https://4dsystems.com.au/products/prima ... 4-4dpi-70t

The manufacturer has a custom kernel that must be applied. Does anyone know if this would work with DietPi?

The process is:
1. Install RPI Buster Lite or Full
2. Download and apply custom Kernel patch.
Joulinar

Re: Kernel package

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

DietPi is not creating any own kernel. In case of Raspberry Pi, we use Raspberry OS and the original RPi kernel. Therefore it might gonna work.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
wmarchewka

Post by wmarchewka »

Thank you. It appears the kernel version of the latest dietpi image is 5.10.17-v71

The latest kernel patch available from 4dsystems is 5.4.68.

I ran into an issue on the OEM rpi image full and lite that if the kernel was newer than the kernel patch version it would not work.

So i think that issue is in play here as well. It installs without error, but will not boot.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

There is no relationship between DietPi and kernel version. Latest Raspberry OS kernel will be used, always. Probably you would need to downgrade your kernel to an appropriate version using rpi-update.

It could look like this.

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update fab7796df0cf29f9563b507a59ce5b17d93e0390
Just the hex code would need to be replaced with correct version. https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
wmarchewka

Post by wmarchewka »

Thank you ! I did not know that was possible. I will try.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

You'll also need to prevent APT from upgrading the kernel again on next release. Let me know if it worked with 4dsystems, then I'll show you how. Btw, as rpi-upgrade is not pre-installed:

Code: Select all

apt install rpi-upgrade