Setting Up AdGuard: DNS Redirect doesn’t work Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Joulinar

Re: Setting Up AdGuard: DNS Redirect doesn’t work

Post by Joulinar »

Let's see if there will be an answer. If not you might consider to use PiHole as it is way more flexible.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Rhizome

Post by Rhizome »

Oh boy, back into the fire :roll: lol.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Whatever that means 8)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Rhizome

Post by Rhizome »

Setting up AdGuard was more work than expected (for a beginner), but my previous experience with pihole was even more work. Which is why I migrated from pihole to adguard in the first place. :cry:
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

usually AGH as well as PiHole are working out of the box. There shouldn't be that much need for difficult configuration.
Rhizome

Post by Rhizome »

Installation for both is a breeze. But configuring them has been time consuming for me. That said, my SmartRG modem router GUI is pure ka-ka, poo-poo, so that hasn’t helped.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

AdBlocking and DNS resolution is working out of the box. The only thing needed would be to activate the DHCP server if needed. What further configuration steps you have done?
Rhizome

Post by Rhizome »

AGH DHCP is already setup. I received a response to my question on Adguard github. One can add a DNS server option! Back to my original question: What DNS would I use so that I have internet access if the Rpi fails?

Also, this morning I also enabled ufw. Previously I had allowed port 53 without the subnet but it still blocked all access to the internet. After reading a few ufw tutorials and fiddling, I added the subnet /24 and now I have access on all devices. It was the only way I could get it to work.
53 ALLOW IN 192.168.1.0 /24
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Simply use Cloudflare or Quad9 public DNS as fall back.
Rhizome

Post by Rhizome »

Well, I edited the AdGuardHome.yaml config file, but when I shut down the Rpi I lose internet access:

dhcpv4:
gateway_ip: 192.168.1.1
subnet_mask: 255.255.255.0
range_start: 192.168.1.110
range_end: 192.168.1.254
lease_duration: 86400
icmp_timeout_msec: 1000
options:
- 6 ips 9.9.9.9