USB boot?

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
John Long

USB boot?

Post by John Long »

Hi,

I looked and can't find info on this. Supposedly newer 4Bs have no problem to boot from USB but I didn't see where or if there is a place in dietpi-config to set the boot order. Ideally I'd like it to try booting from USB if any USB devices are present and if not, fall back to the micro SD card.

Can anybody shed some light on this please? Thank you.
Joulinar

Re: USB boot?

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

this has not really something to do with DietPi. Boot process is fully related to Raspberry Pi device / Raspberry OS. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

Best to my knowledge, RPi will prefer SD card always, if present.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
John Long

Post by John Long »

Hi, thank you.

Well, I saw that page but it seems to be referring to rasbpi tools which I thought would have dietpi equivalents. I didn't find a similar management interface in dietpi-config and the raspi-config mentioned on that page does not seem to be present in dietpi.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

bootloader on RPi4 can be managed using rpi-eeprom-config

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md

If you really need, you could install raspi-config yourself. But you would need to be carful using it as there might be a chance breaking some DietPi configs. Especially on network level if you would use it for network configuration.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
John Long

Post by John Long »

Thanks a lot. I have some goodies coming, I'll try this over the weekend.