Nextcloud install on external data folder fails Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Markstar

Re: Nextcloud install on external data folder fails

Post by Markstar »

Joulinar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:54 pm Ah I see, /mnt/recent is a CIFS/Samba mount and not a real NTFS drive. This is changing the picture completely.
Okay...as I said in the first post, I mounted the drive via the "Drive Manager" - are you saying I should not have done that and installed another version of Samba instead? At this point, I am happy to uninstall Nextcloud and make all the changes that would be recommended...

P.S.: I would also like to access the www-folder from Windows, which at the moment I can only read but not write, would that help with that as well?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Well you mounted the drive as Samba mount. That's the issue. This has nothing to do with drive manager. It's the technology you are using. Samba will not work at all. At least in the direction of exporting the share on Windows and have it mounted on Linux.

Basically you would need to attach the NTFS disk as full drive to your VM. But not 100% sure if this works at the end

Better solution might be using the setup as you have right now and access the disk you have added as ext4, to host you Nextcloud data, via SCP, FTP or Samba. Using Samba would allow you to mount the disk as network share on Windows. This is basically the other way around as Linux is exporting the share and you can have it mount on Windows.

I hope it's not to confusing now 8)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Markstar

Post by Markstar »

Joulinar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:18 pmThis is basically the other way around as Linux is exporting the share and you can have it mount on Windows.

I hope it's not to confusing now 8)
I think I get it. What you are saying that by sharing the VHD from DietPi I can still access the files if I need them.

Thank you again so much for your time and effort!!!

I will now open the (related) topic on how to access the www folder directly. :P