Problem with my External Hard Drive

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Matt

Problem with my External Hard Drive

Post by Matt »

Hi,

I am having a problem connecting my External Hard Drive with my installation of DietPi.

I have two installations of DietPi. One on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and one on an old Acer Aspire One (Native PC version). I am having the same problem on both of my DietPi installations.

When I plug in my Orico 3.5 Inch External Hard Drive Enclosure with a Western Digital 2TB Hard Disk inside I get the following showing on my screen:

usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -71
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 5, error -71
usb usb1-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

if I run DietPi-Drive_Manager my HDD is not shown.

I have tried all combinations of MBR and GPT partition styles, and NTFS and exFat File systems.

I am having no issues on my laptop running windows.

I have put another Hard Drive (Western Digital 120G) into the enclosure and it works fine.

Does anybody have any ideas, please.

Thanks.
Joulinar

Re: Problem with my External Hard Drive

Post by Joulinar »

Hmm,

looks some issues on the HDD to get detected correctly. But this is not a DietPi issue as DietPi is just trying to get the information from underlying Debian image.

can you connect your HDD again and run following 2 command

Code: Select all

lsblk -o name,fstype,label,size,ro,type,mountpoint,partuuid,uuid
blkid
This needs to show your HDD. If not, no chance for DietPi to get your HDD connected.

Btw: is you enclosure externally powered? It might be the HDD require some more power to be able to work than the other one?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks for your reply Joulinar.

I have run those two commands with my external HDD plugged in. It is not picking up the external.

root@JALAPENO:~# lsblk -o name,fstype,label,size,ro,type,mountpoint,partuuid,uuid
NAME FSTYPE LABEL   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT PARTUUID                             UUID
sda               298.1G  0 disk
└─sda1
     ext4         298.1G  0 part /          0641d005-01                          2e9d8509-a765-48ba-ba71-4110f21ef219

root@JALAPENO:~# blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="2e9d8509-a765-48ba-ba71-4110f21ef219" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0641d005-01"
Only shows the local disk.

Yes, my external HDD is externally powered (and it is plugged in and powered on). I was also thinking this is some sort power problem, like it needs more.

I guess I will have to try looking around in some Debian forums.

Thanks for your help
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

that's bad indeed as it doesn't seems to be recognized by the Linux sub system. You can have a look to kernel error messages. Maybe it will give some hints why it's failing.

dmesg -l err,crit,alert,emerg
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team