wlan0 vanished along with nl80211 after apt-get upgrade Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
redblur07

wlan0 vanished along with nl80211 after apt-get upgrade

Post by redblur07 »

I thought about updating my packages and after doing apt-get update I ran apt-get upgrade, that's it. It booted fine but there was no wlan0 interface. I tried "wpa_supplicant -B -D nl80211 -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-supplicant.conf" and it says "nl80211 generic netlink not found".

How could've this happened? Everything was working fine before but after the upgrade that nl80211 driver is missing. What should I do?
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: wlan0 vanished along with nl80211 after apt-get upgrade

Post by MichaIng »

Which SBC, DietPi and Debian version are you using?

And please show the following:

Code: Select all

journalctl -u ifup@wlan0
dmesg -l emerg,alert,crit,err
ip l
redblur07

Post by redblur07 »

I am using debian 10 buster on raspberry pi 3b+, with dietpi version being 6.33.3

Journalctl command says no entries
dmesg command doesn't output anything
ip command lists "lo" and "eth0" interface, no wlan0
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

So indeed the kernel does not recognised the adapter anymore. No output of dmesg -l emerg,alert,crit,err? Wow, 99% of RPis at least show something related to GPU memory and/or drive cache :).

It means you have no network on that system currently, hence a dietpi-bugreport upload does not work, right?

Let's see the whole kernel log then. Feel free to mask any personal/identifying stuff inside, like hostnames, UUIDs or so: dmesg
redblur07

Post by redblur07 »

I think issue could definitely be that missing driver. Although I don't know much about this stuff. Maybe apt upgrade updated the kernel too.
Attachments
dietpilog.txt
Here's the log
(18.53 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

can you check in dietpi-config > 7 : Network Options: Adapters if Onboard WiFi is/was set to ON??
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
redblur07

Post by redblur07 »

Joulinar wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 pm Hi,

can you check in dietpi-config > 7 : Network Options: Adapters if Onboard WiFi is/was set to ON??
Yeah I've checked that already and even toggled it off and on and did some reboots, that made no difference either.
redblur07

Post by redblur07 »

I think I've found the problem. I keep 2 "boot" partitions, one on memory card and other on first partition of usb that carries rest of the system in second partition. I do that to ensure sudden power cut off won't make it unbootable as it has happened in the past, and that I won't have to wait extra 8 seconds for bootup to begin, which you have to while booting from usb.

Now after bootup, memory card gets unmounted and the first boot partition on usb gets mounted on /boot.

So I am assuming "apt-get upgrade" updated the kernel on /boot and removed unnecessary stuff from rest of the os (because I somehow gained 11mb after updating :D), which then led to nl80211 getting removed from os because maybe newer kernel already has it built-in. And since I am booting from old kernel, it's not being able to find that driver. These are just some wild guesses.

But the bottom line is that if I just remove my memory card and boot just from usb, everything works fine, except that my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file has been wiped. No biggie. I'll just copy working boot partition to memory card and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the help guys :)
Attachments
dietpilog2.txt
dmesg log from boot partition on usb
(22.16 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

quite a complex setup.

Yesterday I moved my RPi3B+ from SD card to boot fully from USB. Comparing boot times, it's nearly same or even faster.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
redblur07

Post by redblur07 »

Joulinar wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Comparing boot times, it's nearly same or even faster.
No I am talking about the time it takes for bootup to begin, because if you have no sd card and some OTP set, it will wait at least 6-7 seconds before it begins booting from usb