Upgrade from Pi3B to Pi4 Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
begbie

Upgrade from Pi3B to Pi4

Post by begbie »

Hi All,

I'm hoping this is a relatively easy thing to do, but I have a Pi4 arriving today and it is going to replace my Pi3B, but wondering what is the way to upgrade? Is it literally just a case of taking the SD card out of the Pi3 and putting it into the Pi4 and away I go, or is this some other things I need to do?

Thank you :)
Joulinar

Re: Upgrade from Pi3B to Pi4

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

this should work without issues. Just give it a try an place SD card into the new RPi4. There might be a new IP address if you are using DHCP. Once your system is only, you would need to install RPi4 EEPROM firmware
  1. dietpi-config
  2. Advanced Options
  3. RPi4 EEPROM firmware
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
begbie

Post by begbie »

Well, didn't go as well as I thought it would :(

Popped the card in, didn't load and couldn't see it on the network. Had to wait a day for a micro HDMI cable to turn up (as I expected things just to work) and got the following error (as attached).

I'm no linux guru, so bit the bullet and started from scratch again, ho hum. Still, I'm getting quicker at configuring Pi's from scratch now :D
Attachments
error.jpg
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

usually it should work as I did it a couple of times in the past. Can you place SD card back to the RPi3 and share

Code: Select all

df -h
lsblk -o name,fstype,label,size,ro,type,mountpoint,partuuid,uuid
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
begbie

Post by begbie »

Thanks for the idea there Joulinar, but by this point I had already reflashed the SD card and reinstalled everything :D
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ok, will mark this topic as solved even if we did not really solved it 8)