Wired Ethernet on Connecting at Power-Up on Raspberry Pi 3

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
richg

Wired Ethernet on Connecting at Power-Up on Raspberry Pi 3

Post by richg »

I recently upgrade to DietPi v7.0.2 on my Raspberry Pi 3. When I power-up the unit before my router is up and running, the wired Ethernet does not connect. The green lights on the RJ45 connector of the Raspberry Pi are not ON. If I cycle power after the router is up and running, I have not issues. I did not have this problem with the older version of DietPi. Since the DietPi boots faster than my router, I have this problem every time I powering up my system. Any suggestions on how to enable the wired Ethernet even if the router is not up and running?
Joulinar

Re: Wired Ethernet on Connecting at Power-Up on Raspberry Pi 3

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

how long do you wait before you power cycle?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
richg

Post by richg »

I wait about a minute or two to power cycle my Raspberry Pi. I power cycle it when my router is up and running normally.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

do you have a screen attached to see where it stuck??
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
richg

Post by richg »

No I do not. If the Raspberry Pi is powered up and running before the router has fully booted up, the rooter does not detect the Raspberry PI. The green lights on the Raspberry PI RJ45 connector are OFF. I can not ping the Raspberry PI IP address from my computer. When I power cycle the Raspberry PI after the router is up and running, the router detects it and I can ping it. The green lights on the RJ45 Ethernet connector are also ON.

It is as if the Raspberry PI disables the wired Ethernet connection if it does not detect that it is on a network during the 1st power-up cycle when the router has not yet come up.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

hmm, I did a test on my RPi3B+. I booted the device without network cable connected. The system finished boot in around 80 seconds as it was hanging for 60 sec on network time sync. But this is as expected. ;) As soon as I connect the Ethernet cable, my RPi got available on my local network. Means network was detected and correctly started.

Did you tried to unplug/plug Ethernet cable once your router started? could it be an issue of the Router not detecting the Ethernet connection?
richg

Post by richg »

I tried unplugging and plugging the cable. It did not work. What is odd is that I did not have problems with the previous version of DietPi. It started when I upgrade DietPi on my Raspberry Pi.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

can you try removing this folder an check again

Code: Select all

rm -r /etc/systemd/system/ifup@.service.d
richg

Post by richg »

I tried what you said, but it did not work. It still has the same behavior.

I did notice that the lights on the RJ45 Ethernet connect flash ON at boot-up, but then turn OFF and do not come back ON if the router is not up and running.

The dietpi.conf file in the directory you indicated is as follows:

Code: Select all

# Override service type to give network(-online).target more meaning and remove obsolete ifquery call: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/4121#issuecomment-782057374
[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=ifup --allow=hotplug %I
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

would be helpful if you would have a screen attached to see what happen during boot and if it stuck somewhere

As I told above, my RPi is booting even without Ethernet cable connected and it get available on network level as soon as I plug the cable

Can you test to boot the RPi without Ethernet cable and plug it in after a couple of minutes.