SSD Auto-Mount Issue "offset:original/backup"

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Joulinar

Re: SSD Auto-Mount Issue "offset:original/backup"

Post by Joulinar »

good that it is working now. If not realy needed to connect the HDD to another Windows based computer, I would recomment to use ext4 as file system format.

If you really like you can follow this linke to share a coffee :)
https://dietpi.com/contribute.html
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Great that it works now.
dwr wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:30 am it turns out that FAT32 formatted drives (not all, but some based on manufacturer) do not play well with DietPi's (and more specifically, linux) automount feature.
It's either the Raspberry Pi kernel or the Debian dosfsutils and/or mount packages, it does not play well with. It's obviously not auto-mounting (you mean systemd automount feature), but mounting such drive in general :?.

Another question, did you format the drive on Windows? Probably formatting it on Linux/DietPi would have worked. I'll keep the case in mind if something similar is reported again :).
dwr

Post by dwr »

MichaIng wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:32 pm Great that it works now.
dwr wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:30 am it turns out that FAT32 formatted drives (not all, but some based on manufacturer) do not play well with DietPi's (and more specifically, linux) automount feature.
It's either the Raspberry Pi kernel or the Debian dosfsutils and/or mount packages, it does not play well with. It's obviously not auto-mounting (you mean systemd automount feature), but mounting such drive in general :?.

Another question, did you format the drive on Windows? Probably formatting it on Linux/DietPi would have worked. I'll keep the case in mind if something similar is reported again :).
Well, after configuring other applications through DietPi, and subsequently having to reboot both Pi's a few times, the issue is back. At this point, I don't even care - I am leaving it as is and will deal with the issue if the Pi's are ever rebooted.

To answer your question, I did format the both SSD's using the DietPi-Device Manager tool since I figured this would net me with the best format configuration, but alas, it did not fix the problem. Either way, I am leaving them both formatted as NTFS and will handle issues as they arise.

Also, I contributed via the link that you provided - hopefully you received it!

Thanks again to both of you - you truly went above and beyond in providing me assistance through this issue, regardless of the outcome. I learned more than I expected. Cheers!
dwr - SpicyLimes.io