NFS issues - blocky/choppy playback from Kodi and others Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Joulinar

Re: NFS issues - blocky/choppy playback from Kodi and others

Post by Joulinar »

btw: be carful on software installations using dietpi-software until a fix was provided. Because dietpi-software will update all apt packages in front of a software installation. Usually this include the kernel as well. Not sure if rpi-update will block this for the time being ;)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
santhonyh

Post by santhonyh »

I'm having the same issues. I had a perfectly working OS on my microsd card, then a powercut happened (first one in 160 days) and I lost it. Stupid me for not keeping my backups safe.

All tutorials online suggest installing rcpbind and nfs-utils, and apparently neither of those now exist in the repo. I'm at my wits end. The videos play and stream across the network but they're so blocky and unwatchable. It used to be perfect.
santhonyh

Post by santhonyh »

Gass wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 pm Thanks a lot for you help, I can confirm it's a kernel related issue. According to the post i linked above will be fixed in kernel 5.10.15 so probably won't take too long.

For anyone else experiencing same issues, this worked for me:

Install rpi-update if you don't have it installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install rpi-update
Revert to kernel 5.10.10:

sudo rpi-update 8c2ba64b27a4b6a1dfcd114203c6309f766e2ef4
Reboot to apply the changes:

sudo reboot
Okay this solution worked perfectly I've got my NFS server back!

Written it down for future use. I'm so glad this wasn't one of those threads where it said, solved it guys. Last seen 8 years ago.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yes it's a Raspberry OS kernel issue, that hopefully will be fixed soon by Raspberry Foundation
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
spinecho

Post by spinecho »

Wow! Thanks guys!

My kodi playback just ground to a halt suddenly after installing Plex on my RP4b NAS running DietPi.
Had no idea that DietPi's method of installation updates everything!!!

I managed to fix issue by reverting to SMB shares, so Kodi playback works.

Thanks for the info regarding how to downgrade, saving this for future use👍
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yes, actually this the behaviour of DietPi to perform an apt update && apt upgrade infront of a software installation. This will change within upcoming version 6.35