NFS issues - blocky/choppy playback from Kodi and others Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Gass

NFS issues - blocky/choppy playback from Kodi and others

Post by Gass »

Hi, it's most likely not a dietpi issue, but can't find an answer for why this is happening and maybe some of you have had this issue before.

The setup was working fine on all devices up until last week. The issue is that any video I try to watch is super blocky and choppy if it even plays, this happens on all devices "all of a sudden".

NFS is setup on a rpi4 4GB with a USB 3.0 (ext4) external drive connected and the network is working, AndroidTV Kodi can see it and access files, same thing on a W10 laptop and VLC on a couple Android phones. There is only 1 "active" client at any time.

The playback issue is the same on all of them, but there is one exception, on W10 if I access the drive writing down the address instead of through the mapped network drive everything works just fine :? .

Also copying files has no issues from the W10 laptop either mapping the drive or accessing through the network address, the speed is about the same and the files are not corrupted.

Just FYI this is my /etc/exports taken straight from the dietpi wiki

Code: Select all

/mnt/dietpi_userdata 192.168.1.*(rw,async,no_root_squash,fsid=0,crossmnt,subtree_check,insecure)
I'm somehow familiar with linux, but never used NFS before. Anyone can give me a tip on what to do or how to approach solving this issue?
Gass

Re: NFS issues - blocky/choppy playback from Kodi and others

Post by Gass »

Just to add some information, this might be kernel related

dietpi@Pi:~$ uname -r
5.10.11-v8+
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

just for clarification. DietPi did not and will not create any kernel. The kernel is provided by the base image. As you are using a Raspberry Pi, you are running Raspberry OS. Means the kernel is the same as on all other Raspberry Pi, created by the Raspberry Foundation.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Gass

Post by Gass »

Thanks for the answer, once I read those news I figured it wouldn't be a few commands or config changes.

I'm new to rpis and dietpi, is there a way to downgrade the kernel until a new release is up? Even if it's just to test if that is in fact the issue.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

This is a functionality outside of DietPi as it is a feature of Raspberry Pi tools. However It's possible by using rpi-update.

https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update#options
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Gass

Post by Gass »

Thanks a lot for you help, I can confirm it's a kernel related issue. According to the post i linked above will be fixed in kernel 5.10.15 so probably won't take too long.

For anyone else experiencing same issues, this worked for me:

Install rpi-update if you don't have it installed:

sudo apt install rpi-update
Revert to kernel 5.10.10:

sudo rpi-update 8c2ba64b27a4b6a1dfcd114203c6309f766e2ef4
Reboot to apply the changes:

sudo reboot
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ok good that it is working again.
Gass

Post by Gass »

Gass wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 pm Revert to kernel 5.10.10:

sudo rpi-update 8c2ba64b27a4b6a1dfcd114203c6309f766e2ef4
uname -a

Linux Pi 5.10.10-v8+ #1397 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 25 18:46:44 GMT 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yes have overlooked it. So you are lucky to have it fixed right away using 5.10.10. Otherwise you would have need to go back to 5.4 which was the stable kernel before 5.10
Gass

Post by Gass »

Lucky me! :D :D thanks again for your directions, very helpful.