Help request for Reverse proxy setup with HTTPS to build a server for multiple services Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Help request for Reverse proxy setup with HTTPS to build a server for multiple services

Post by LeVraiRoiDHyrule »

Hi,

I am now using Dietpi on my Raspberry Pi 4 for more than a year, for all kind of server software. Some are only on my LAN, some are available for friends and family outside my network.

I would like to upgrade that and I think a reverse proxy would be the best thing to set up. It would allow me to only forward 1 port, and to make all that safer with SSL and HTTPS.

But I am struggling a lot to find good guides or help for what I would like to achieve. I would like to ask here if you have ressources, step by step guides, or availability to help me a bit for this. Any help is appreciated.

Here is what I would like to set up behind my reverse proxy :

- Jellyfin server
- jfa-go server (for Jellyfin account management) https://github.com/hrfee/jfa-go
- Transmission torrent server (used both from remote app and web UI)
- Ombi server (requests for Jellyfin files)
- Minecraft Server (Paperclip, from there https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... p-service/ )
- PiVPN, my private Wireguard server

I already have a dynamic DNS at ChangeIP.com.

All these things are currently installed on my Raspberry, and works great by entering [dyndns]:port

My goal is to have all this now accessible with [dyndns]/jellyfin ; [dyndns]/transmission and so on....

A bonus thing, but it's really not an obligation, would be to have a landing page when connecting to [dyndns] only, that acts like an homepage with tiles to the main services.

Do you have tips or guides on how to begin this ?
Thanks in advance for any answer. I know this is a very complicated subject but I don't know where to begin.
Have a great day !
Joulinar

Re: Help request for Reverse proxy setup with HTTPS to build a server for multiple services

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

at least 2 ports you would need to forward on your router (80 + 443)

I don't have a real guide but I guess there are quite some out on the web. Best option would be using Nginx as revers proxy. Some applicatons like Jellyfin offer own configs this https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/networking/nginx.html

Next to this, a VPN server you should not handle via revers proxy. their you still need to forward vpn port
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Re: Help request for Reverse proxy setup with HTTPS to build a server for multiple services

Thanks for your quick answer.

I will try with Nginx. But maybe there is other reverse proxy softwares that could be easier for newbies ?

Thanks for your explations with the VPN, I won't put it behind the reverse proxy.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

well you could have a look to HAProxy https://dietpi.com/docs/software/advanc ... g/#haproxy
But it might be complicated to setup.

An easy to click solution would be Nginx Proxy Manager. This is a solution based on Docker. Quite a heavy solution with database aso, but nice easy gui https://nginxproxymanager.com/
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Thanks, Nginx proxy manager looks very interesting.

But I'm not using Docker yet, so I'm hesitating to use it. That represents a big thing. Because using it for 1 app only is a bit useless, so I guess I should move everything to Docker container formats. Not sure if this would be useful. I'll look into it.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yes indeed that's a downside as it require Docker. However there is no need to migrate all stuff. :)

as well you could have a look on this https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issu ... -756783571
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Thanks.

I'll look into Portainer, your post on github let me think that it's better for a newbie like me to begin with Portainer to avoid errors with Docker and Nginx.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

You could play with it on a VM to get some experience on how it behave before installation on your live system
LeVraiRoiDHyrule

Hi again,

It looks like I can't install portainer.

I tried running the script twice, as the script requests it. But at its second run I always run into this issue :

DietPi-Software
│ - Command: docker rm --force
│ - Exit code: 1
│ - DietPi version: v6.34.3 (MichaIng/master) | HW_MODEL: 4 | HW_ARCH: 2 | DISTRO: 5
│ - Image creator: DietPi Core Team
│ - Pre-image: Raspbian Lite
│ - Error log:
│ Container name cannot be empty

I'm on a clean install, nothing else is installed. I don't know what to try. Could you help me please ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Where did you get the information to run a script twice?