3 noob questions Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
trendy

Re: 3 noob questions

Post by trendy »

If you ask me it is a bad idea to auto-update.
You should be aware of what is updated, in case something is broken. Imagine if one update is not compatible with the configuration you have and the server never restarts. Or if the upgrade never completes due to some error and you are resting assured that everything is fine.
I understand that it is way more convenient like this, but once it happens to you you'll also reconsider the time wasted troubleshooting from zero.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

We even had the option to enable automatic DietPi script updates for a while, but I removed it, since we use updates also to inform users about important changes, allow them to do decision and do software reinstalls in case of breaking changes have been done to our implementation. This should hence be done interactively.

For APT package upgrades it's usually safe to apply them automatically as long as your on the stable or oldstable Debian suite (Stretch or Buster). But it's still the first or second most reason to cause support requests/issues on our GitHub, e.g. when service restarts are triggered and then any of various related or untrusted reasons the service start fails. But if an e.g. night service downtime does not being you into trouble, it should be fine. Logs are stored persistently as mentioned in dietpi.txt.

This reminds me to add those options to the dietpi-update UI.
forevergreen

Post by forevergreen »

Sorry guys to bother you but I am getting a new pi zero w and wondering if I should use 64bit which says still beta or the 32-bit. I use it to run pihole. Does it even matter?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

it doesn't matter, 32bit is totally fine.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Not on RPi Zero! The 64-bit image can only work on RPi models with an ARMv8/aarch64 CPU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry ... ifications
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ahh damn, my fault.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
forevergreen

Post by forevergreen »

MichaIng wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 pm Not on RPi Zero! The 64-bit image can only work on RPi models with an ARMv8/aarch64 CPU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry ... ifications
Thanks you saved me a lot of time